Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Should I?

Discussion in 'Step III' started by Aizee, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Aizee

2+ Year Member

Hi everyone. I have a question. I am an IMG (graduated Match 2014). Just got done with step 1 (239) and step 2ck (255) step 2cs (1st attempt). Have 3 months of UCSE. Should I start preparing for step 3? Or let it be. What would be the advantage of doing step 3? And how long does it take?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. yayforscrambling

2+ Year Member

advantage of taking it now? everything's still fresh in your head and you wouldn't have to relearn anything?

nobody can tell you how long it takes... could take you a week or a year... everyone's different

4. Herpangina 24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you are a visa requiring IMG; then step 3 makes you eligible for H1B visa provided the program sponsors an H1B. In my opinion, H1B is 100 times better than J1.

5. Gastromeister

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You scored great on your step 2 CK so the knowledge should theoretically still be fresh. If a visa is an issue for you, H1B is apparently the more favorable option and you would be required to have finished Step 3 in order to apply for it.

I say get it done but fully expect to get anywhere from 10-30 points less than your step 2CK since you haven't done your intern year and that tends to be the general trend among IMG's

6. Gastromeister

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    except when you apply for fellowship, then the tables are turned.