Should you extern at home program? or away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Van Der Woude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I am curious, is it worth it to extern at your home program? Do other residency programs prefer to see externships that are not your home program? I would honestly prefer externing elsewhere because I will be observing my home program's operations when I do rotations starting 3rd year. However, I also feel like I do not know enough about oral surgery to do an externship at an away program. I consider externships a learning experience so I am hoping some of these programs do too and are ok with me messing up now and then due to a lack of experience (but man does messing up suck. )

So what do you guys think? Extern at home program first or start with away?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you start with away externships, make sure you know your home program very well (scope, faculty, residents) because other programs will ask. Externships at most programs are hands-off except a few in the south, so it's hard to mess up.

Members don't see this ad :)
They understand that you're a 3rd or 4th year dental student and won't know much about OMFS. They'll ask questions that you won't know but that's ok. Treat it like a working interview. Work hard and stay long hours. Extern at your home program and at away ones. Get a good feel for the broad range of programs throughout the country.