Should you mention greek life during interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick6570

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I figured this might be a question that other people might have.

I have an interviewing coming up at the end of the month, and I know that you are sometimes asked what type of leadership experience do you have.
During my undergrad I was apart of a fraternity and I value that time dearly. I help two executive position, first treasurer which then lead to me becoming the president of my organization. A lot of who I am today came from the lessons I learned during my presidency. My questions is, should I mention this leadership experience or leave it out completely. I fear that if I mention this, I may fall into the stereotype of every other "frat" guy, and could be more harmful then helpful.
The school I applied to required a resume for which this information was included, but I am unsure of what to do for my interview.
Has anyone else been in this situation, and if so what did you do?

Thank you for any help

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Although I have never participated in a fraternity myself, I think I can take a hack at your question.

I have only been to one interview so far, but all of the questions asked were relevant to Physical Therapy and my observation hours and other clinically related activities I have participated in. I do feel that you can cite your experiences fraternity if you can phrase it in such a way that the things you have learned there can be applied to PT. If they were to ask you if you held any leadership experiences I do not see as to why mentioning your Greek life would detract away from your application. Remember these people are really seeing as to how your experiences have shaped who you are today and how your decisions and actions have lead you to choose PT.

Hope this helps!

I would leave it out unless you find that you have nothing else to talk about .It's not that I think it would hurt. It just seems like a rather random thing to bring up(i.e. it doesn't seem related to PT).

I would only bring it up if something about leadership was brought up or asked about, and even then I would keep it vague.