Should your application be in by...NOW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kane

The hard way is the right way
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone define getting it in "early"? Are a lot of people submitted and done?

Also, who used the ADEA book for guidance..was it helpful? I just ordered it and think I'm wasted 43 bucks. I'll probably be ready to submit before it even comes.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn worry about whether people think your "early" or not just get it in as soon as you can. I would think you are considered early any time in june however.

Phew. I had this picture of people jamming to get it in as soon as it was available. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Phew. I had this picture of people jamming to get it in as soon as it was available. :)

There are quite a few people (a lot of SDNers) that have had their application prepared since before it came out. For a lot of people this is their second time around and can merely tweak last years app. and paste it in the new one. I'd definitely get it in before June is over, though.

getting your application in by mid-June is a **GOOD** idea... it's never too early... it's only going to help your chances of getting in...

Can someone define getting it in "early"? Are a lot of people submitted and done?

Also, who used the ADEA book for guidance..was it helpful? I just ordered it and think I'm wasted 43 bucks. I'll probably be ready to submit before it even comes.

Most people want to get their apps in as soon as possible so they can have time to fill out secondaries. Since a lot of schools ask different questions, it's in an applicants best interest to get the secondary questions early so you're not rushing to get them all done. Last year when I applied I submitted my application June 1 and it was mailed June 7 (I think). I received multiple letters from schools saying they were still filling spots for the incoming class and they'd look at my application when they were done (no idea when that was). In any case, just get it in asap so you can work on those secondaries! :cool:

Most people want to get their apps in as soon as possible so they can have time to fill out secondaries. Since a lot of schools ask different questions, it's in an applicants best interest to get the secondary questions early so you're not rushing to get them all done. Last year when I applied I submitted my application June 1 and it was mailed June 7 (I think). I received multiple letters from schools saying they were still filling spots for the incoming class and they'd look at my application when they were done (no idea when that was). In any case, just get it in asap so you can work on those secondaries! :cool:

Interesting. When did the first of your secondardy applications arrive? Are they all web-based?

When you say "mailed by June 7", do you mean the whole sha-bang? Your transcripts, your pre-professional package, etc.?

TIA (we don't use this on SDN, but it means "thanks in advance" if ya didn't know.) :p

For me, I have been adding bits and pieces to my AADSAS application since it opened up. I am not going to submit it probably for another month just around the time I take my DATs in July.

I submitted at the end of August last year... had 4 interviews and got into 3 schools.

I've always understood "early" to mean submitting by the end of June-ish. From Mid-July to early September is "normal," and anything after that would be considered fairly late. Of course, many people submit in October/November and still get in; but to give yourself the best chance, try to get it in by late June or the first week of July.

Interesting. When did the first of your secondardy applications arrive? Are they all web-based?

When you say "mailed by June 7", do you mean the whole sha-bang? Your transcripts, your pre-professional package, etc.?

TIA (we don't use this on SDN, but it means "thanks in advance" if ya didn't know.) :p

The secondaries were different for each school. Some schools like ASDOH had a complete web based secondary whereas for UPenn I had to send a paper copy to them.

I talked to a UCLA Admissions representative about the same question the OP is asking and that's the answer I received back. I don't remember exactly when the secondaries arrived, but I do recall I had access to mine earlier than my other friend's that were applying last cycle.

yes, my 2008 AADSAS said mailed June 7th...the whole sha bang. Although I don't think it makes that big of a difference to be in the first or second mailing or anything...just get it in as early as you can! :)

I'd say by getting the application in by August would still be considered early... BUT the earlier u get it in the better it is. There is ALWAYS some school that is missing a LOR or a transcript or a check... so the quicker you finish the AADSAS, the quicker you can get to correcting all the random errors that pop up. I've been thru the application process three times & it never fails for AADSAS or a dental school to screw something up. Good luck