Show some IMG love! (help!)

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Blondbondgirl, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Blondbondgirl

Medical Student
    Ok, I am an American studying in Germany trying to figure out when to take my Step 2 and how long I should plan to study for it. I didn't do so well on Step 1, so I want to do well on Step 2. Part of the problem is that I self-taught myself a lot of it, I didn't have time to wait until I had the classes here.
    I had planned to study for 5 weeks after my last theoretical final (I would have had all subjects then, right before my final year, my "practical year", which is only in the hospital). My only worry is that although I would have had the material in this case (as compared to Step I), we don't have shelf exams, so I would not have had the American format for very long (or are 5 weeks of UW and First Aid enough, all of you IMGs out there?)
    Any suggestions? experiences?

Thanks guys!:)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. raidenxp2005

Medical Student
    what you need is Kaplan Lecture Notes for Step 2 CK and maybe the dvd's to go with them

If u consider your a good and fast reader you'll only need 2 months, as long as the informations sticks in your head

when you're finished reading a discipline, e.g. Cardiology from the internal medicine lecture notes, you do questions from UW and review the questions you got wrong along with those u got right

most ppl suggest doing UW atleast twice to get a good score

FA is good as a good refresher but all u need in Kaplan and UW to pass

if you know u haven't been in the US teaching system for a while....you should consider studying for more than 2 months....maybe 4, depending on how much work you can cover in a short time

4. Blondbondgirl

Medical Student
    Thanks, dude, I really appreciate it! :D

I thought about doing an NMBE (or whatever they're called) 4 months prior to see where I stand so I can plan accordingly, though it seems most people use those exams closer to the end!?

5. doc20

Attending Physician
    yes take nbme closer to the end, and before that use your score on qbanks to evaluate your progress

6. raidenxp2005

Medical Student
    Yes Most Definitely

Do The Nbme...