SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Sick of scouring the SDN annals

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sundown, Jul 16, 2002.

1. sundown

sundown Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Can't find too many people with similar stats... 3.62 GPA (ivy), 34S mcat, biophysics concentrator, research, etc. ... anybody with a similar profile who has applied ... where ya been accepted?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. vyc

vyc Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Chicago
    you know what?

it doesn't matter!

those numbers are great.

if you write a decent essay and have good recs, you should get in somewhere. pick your schools wisely, with a wide range.

the rest is fate.

4. Darwin

Darwin 10+ Year Member

Aug 18, 2001
    HMS Beagle
    I had very similar stats (bit lower gpa: same MCAT) and had multiple acceptances, and withdrew from multiple waitlists. As vyc noted, it really doesn't matter. I've heard of people with lower stats doing much better than I did, and people with better stats getting in nowhere. It all comes down to your essays and letters of rec. at this point. Don't worry about a thing...you should be fine. Take care.

5. Dr/\/\om

Dr/\/\om Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    As vyc and Darwin said, you're fine. You should be able to apply to a wide range of schools and have a decent chance at a number of them.

Good luck.

6. lilycat

lilycat Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2000
    ???
    I can only echo the previous two posters -- I had a similar background and stats (lower GPA though), and had multiple acceptances. Apply to a wide range of schools and you should be fine.

7. shekspere

shekspere Member 7+ Year Member

May 24, 2002
    kent-Ohio
    vyc hit the bulls-eye on this one. The fact that you are an ivy-league-er impresses only one person: you. Good stats though!!

8. jot

jot

it doesn't seem like (s)he was being pretentious, just curious. goodluck feller (or fellete)
    -jot

9. sundown

Jul 16, 2002
    if it makes you feel any better shek, it is the worst ivy

10. sundown

Jul 16, 2002
    thanks for the feedback though guys, i just think i'm in a tweener zone as far as top schools, but... that's cool, it's good to rock out sometimes... makes things more interesting

11. lilycat

lilycat Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2000
    ???
    Sundown -- you're definitely not a "lock" for all of the top schools (very few people are), but based on your stats alone, assuming the rest of your application is solid, you should be in a position to get a few interviews at some of the "top" schools. You might be surprised though -- some of the "lower-ranked" schools may impress you more than you imagine.

It sounds like you're in a good position. It may be hard to hear this, but you've done what you can, so at a certain point you just have to relax and see what happens -- much of it is out of your hands at this point (except for the remaining secondary essays and the interview preparation).

12. sundown

Jul 16, 2002
    amen to that

13. shekspere

shekspere Member 7+ Year Member

May 24, 2002
    kent-Ohio
    Once again best of luck and keep us posted!!!