SICU text for MS4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomad138

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -
I'm about to start a 4th year SICU elective. I'm planning using Marino's ICU book as a text during the rotation, and just finished the critical care chapter in Lawrence as some pre-reading. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other recommendations.

-Did a search, didn't find much. Sorry if i missed a good post/thread.
-I'm planning on going into GS, if that has any bearing on your recs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone -
I'm about to start a 4th year SICU elective. I'm planning using Marino's ICU book as a text during the rotation, and just finished the critical care chapter in Lawrence as some pre-reading. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other recommendations.

-Did a search, didn't find much. Sorry if i missed a good post/thread.
-I'm planning on going into GS, if that has any bearing on your recs.

While there are some good threads on this topic, I'd suggest that sticking with Marino will be your best bet. ICU texts teach you the nuts and bolts of things like vent management, cardiovascular monitoring and other ICU management issues. Marino does a great job at this, but once you know that stuff, you won't find that other ICU texts will build on it. Look for a good general surgery text or just make sure your institution has a pretty thorough Pubmed subscription, as most of the patient-specific things are better found in journal articles than in ICU texts.

Members don't see this ad :)