Sideline Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSwede

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all -

I am a PM&R doc who is fellowship trained in Pain Medicine and I practice Pain in an outpatient MSK/Ortho environment. Recently, as a favor, I was asked to cover some high school football games for sideline management. Not being asked to become the permanent team physician or anything. No Sports Medicine docs available at this time apparently.

I'm hoping someone can direct me to some videos, websites, articles, quick reads to help out. This is short notice, so at a minimum mainly what injuries will be the most common, what not to miss, etc. Any advice welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

1. McDermott, Emily R., David J. Tennent, and Jeanne C. Patzkowski. "On-field Emergencies and Emergency Action Plans." Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review 29.4 (2021): e51-e56.

2. https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/bjsports/early/2017/04/26/bjsports-2017-097506SCAT5.full.pdf

I would also say it is somewhat unfortunate whoever asked you thinks sideline physicians are just "plug and chug". There are many subtleties to consider such as equipment removal, communication with EMS on protocol for spine boarding, return to play, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the info.

It's a rural football team and I think they literally have no one else to help. Perhaps someone better than none is the thought. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user