*sigh*.. applying again a second time. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roblu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering what my chances are this year. I remember last year I applied to 30+ schools and not even an interview was passed my way. I don't know... I guess my GPA sucks a bit since it was a 2.98. The problem is that I'm so far into college with so many credits that it's hard to pull my GPA up even if I do decent from then on. In my first year and a half of college, I was getting below 3.0 and even an 'F' in Biology so trying to pull that up is a bit hard since ALL grades are counted in even when I did second grade option. But I've been trying to get my GPA up. So far in the last 3 semesters, I have gotten 3.63, 3.31, and 3.54. My last semester was 4 upper level Biology classes where I got A, A-, A-, and B. My average DAT is 19 for science and 22 for PAT. My average GPA is now a 3.08, which is also where my science average is around. So, what do you guys suggest? I mean, before I got the 3.54, I was 3.01 and it brought me up only 0.07 from where I was at... I'm done with college with a degree in Biology and not a clue how to go about this right now.

Also, are there any programs where I can do like a 1 or 2 year thing which betters my chances of being accepted? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is do do a masters program and show a good post-bacc GPA. I know there's lots of schools that have one year masters programs for biomedical sciences. Look around on this forum for post-bacc programs that other people have done or are doing.

OR....... you could try to retake your DAT and score above 22 on everything.

Your best bet is do do a masters program and show a good post-bacc GPA. I know there's lots of schools that have one year masters programs for biomedical sciences. Look around on this forum for post-bacc programs that other people have done or are doing.

OR....... you could try to retake your DAT and score above 22 on everything.

This is a good advice.

First, take more postbac classes to bring your GPA over that 3.0 hurdle. Quite a few schools have cut-offs at 3.0 so without that your application might not even meet adcomms eyes.

Then you should go ahead and do a master as suggested. And of course, do well on the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would say go and do a SMP (special master's program). the post bacc will get lumped into your undergraduate GPA if i'm not mistaken. whereas the graduate GPA will show up in a separate column on AADSAS. the master's program usually is very rigorous and will be looked upon favorably by the ADCOM if you do well. at some colleges, it is hard to sign up for classes as a post bacc because there are not enough seats for full time students.

I suggest you either take some post-bac classes or enroll in a masters program. I don't think you should take the dat again though.
good luck

I suggest you either take some post-bac classes or enroll in a masters program. I don't think you should take the dat again though.
good luck

Unless the DAT expires in 2 or 3 years.

i would say go and do a SMP (special master's program). the post bacc will get lumped into your undergraduate GPA if i'm not mistaken. whereas the graduate GPA will show up in a separate column on AADSAS. the master's program usually is very rigorous and will be looked upon favorably by the ADCOM if you do well. at some colleges, it is hard to sign up for classes as a post bacc because there are not enough seats for full time students.

I agree. You will be able to start a new GPA by enrolling in a masters program. You will then be able to average the two and possibly raise your GPA.