<Sigh> Reapplication time. Needs advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lederhosen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the 2012 cycle is winding down, I'm coming to the realization that my chances of getting into medical school are pretty slim. So I'm trying to figure out what would be the best course of action for next year.

My stats are:
3.53 Science
3.61 Total

1st MCAT score- 26
2nd MCAT score 33 (13ps,8vr,12,bs)

Extracurriculars
Shadowed doctor (120hrs)- Involved lots of clinic, meeting patients on floor/icu
Lab Experience - 2 Years, won an undergrad grant for my research, present work at national conference, 4-5 1st author posters, part of Undergrad research program at my university
Math/Science Educational Outreach

I sent out my applications(ie finished secondaries) in november because I ended up retaking the MCAT on the 2nd to last day it was offered.

I think my biggest problem this cycle was the obscenely late date at which I submitted my application this year. The second is the lack of clinical/hospital experiences and the 3rd is my relatively average GPA.
With that said, I'm trying to figure out what would be the best thing to do for the following year. I've just started a pre-med specific volunteer program at a local hospital and sent out my resume for a scribe position. I was wondering should I think about enrolling in an SMP program since my gpa isn't great. Another issue is since my research has been a huge part of my EC's I naturally got a letter of rec from my PI. Unfortunately, my PI is a little odd and writes very frank letters that brings up both the good and the "needs improvement" areas. I feel as if this might be a red flag to a medical school Adcom and may not be a real strong letter of rec. Of the other 3 letter I got, I'd wager that 2 of them were pretty strong and the last was decent.
Anywho, with all of this said, what is everyone's thoughts for the SMP and ways I can improve my med school app for next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

If this is your first attempt, I say wait on the SMP. Your stats are solid. Apply June 1, broadly, and if you're willing to go DO, send tose out as well. I'd think you'd get love from your state school

Apply on the first day, apply broadly, have a great personal statement. Make sure your LOR's don't have any red flags. You have plenty of volunteer time.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO you didn't get in simply because you applied way to late (I'm assuming you applied MD right?)

Apply June 1 and I bet you get in. You are a shoe in for D.O. if that interests you.

Also alot of apps will ask you to list what you have done to improve your application if you are a reapplicant so make sure you have some things to fill that space with. Learn spanish, do a new volunteer gig, get some more clinical expertise, etc.

IMHO you didn't get in simply because you applied way to late (I'm assuming you applied MD right?)

Apply June 1 and I bet you get in. You are a shoe in for D.O. if that interests you.

Also alot of apps will ask you to list what you have done to improve your application if you are a reapplicant so make sure you have some things to fill that space with. Learn spanish, do a new volunteer gig, get some more clinical expertise, etc.

I applied MD only the first time. I'm going to start looking at DO options though. I didn't have the chance to read about what their schools are about the first time.

I do have a couple more things I can add to my application. I also think I can really rework some of the description of my activities (I think I took it too literally) and my secondaries could use a little work.

Make sure you run your personal statement through the readers who are willing to do it... and if any of them are willing, some of your more important secondaries. While I am not the best at grammar, I 'traded' work with another applicant. We went over each others' stuff to help with arrangement, content, etc... It is very helpful. I really think you just need to get your stuff in ASAP on June 1... BIG help... my stats are WAY lower than yours and I had 5 interviews, 2 acceptances, 2 waitlists, and I skipped one interview... ;) You'll get in ;)

Make sure you run your personal statement through the readers who are willing to do it... and if any of them are willing, some of your more important secondaries. While I am not the best at grammar, I 'traded' work with another applicant. We went over each others' stuff to help with arrangement, content, etc... It is very helpful. I really think you just need to get your stuff in ASAP on June 1... BIG help... my stats are WAY lower than yours and I had 5 interviews, 2 acceptances, 2 waitlists, and I skipped one interview... ;) You'll get in ;)

I did have some people read over my application who were also going through the process. I do believe we were all a little bit rushed and stressed out. Next time, I'll get an outsider maybe to look at my more important secondaries.

Thanks for the confidence boost! I really hope applying early this next cycle will help me!

I think if you apply earlier, you will have a way better chance next cycle. Your stats seem fine, but I think you need to get some clinical experience. From what I've heard on these forums, shadowing a doctor doesn't count as clinical experience. It seems that you applied with no volunteer or clinical experience, so try to bulk up those ECs in your gap year.

The biggest thing about your PS is it needs to be read by someone who doesn't know you. I had this problem, I had people who knew me read it, and of course they thought it was fine. Well, that is because they know me, they read into it... Have unknown people read it, either forum people or if you have a writing center at your UG school who can help you. It is important to have people look it over who will be reading it like an adcom person does, you're an unknown person and they've read 100 others before yours....

The biggest thing about your PS is it needs to be read by someone who doesn't know you. I had this problem, I had people who knew me read it, and of course they thought it was fine. Well, that is because they know me, they read into it... Have unknown people read it, either forum people or if you have a writing center at your UG school who can help you. It is important to have people look it over who will be reading it like an adcom person does, you're an unknown person and they've read 100 others before yours....

Thanks for the advice.I really only had people I knew read and edit my PS.

Once the application cycle officially concludes, try contacting several of the schools that you were genuinely interested in (or interviewed you) and see if you could talk to someone who could help guide you on parts of your application that needs improvement. Have them tell you areas where you are deficient and what advice they may have for you to strengthen your application.