Sigma Alpha Lambda...to join or not to join

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balder1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!!
i just got an invitation from Sigma Alpha Lambda, some Leadership Honor Society. If anyone has ever heard of it or not, is it good to join this chapter and be part of this organization?? Thanks everyone!!!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!!!
i just got an invitation from Sigma Alpha Lambda, some Leadership Honor Society. If anyone has ever heard of it or not, is it good to join this chapter and be part of this organization?? Thanks everyone!!!:confused:

I'm sending you a PM you about it.

Never heard of it.

+1

What I've heard through SDN and other various sources is the only honor society really worth joining is Phi Beta Kappa. Been around for years (literally, began in 1776 I believe) and still holds its reputation as one of the most respected and valued undergraduate honor societies. I see physicians still putting it on their 'achievements' list.

I just googled it. Possible scam! And just when you were getting excited to put that on ur amcas :(

Actually nevermind....it looks ok...but several websites list this as a possible scam.

I just googled it. Possible scam! And just when you were getting excited to put that on ur amcas :(

I know from personal experience that the organization is not a scam.

And HakunaMatata, for what it's worth, I was also part of Phi Beta Kappa as well as other honor societies, and although Phi Beta Kappa's prestige is undeniable, I personally benefited more from my involvement in other honor societies.

I know from personal experience that the organization is not a scam.

And HakunaMatata, for what it's worth, I was also part of Phi Beta Kappa as well as other honor societies, and although Phi Beta Kappa's prestige is undeniable, I personally benefited more from my involvement in other honor societies.

Can't argue with you there.

I apologize for my previous post indicating that no other honor society is "worth" joining. My aim was indicate that it seems adcoms don't recognize most honor societies as prestigious besides PBK. However, I definitely can see how involvement in other honor societies can have a huge benefit to yourself and your application.

Actually nevermind....it looks ok...but several websites list this as a possible scam.

Its not a scam.

I was a member of the one on my undergrad campus. Sadly, they didn't become active in community service until my senior year so by then I already had two other leadership positions that required my attention or would conflict with their activities.

Doubt I'll list it on my AMCAS simply because of lack of participation and my undergrad chapter's website doesn't have information about inductees so don't want to make it look like I'm fabricating.

Its an alright organization, it depends on how active your chapter is. Mine was obviously worthless until my senior year, then they did a few cool activities and service.

+1

What I've heard through SDN and other various sources is the only honor society really worth joining is Phi Beta Kappa. Been around for years (literally, began in 1776 I believe) and still holds its reputation as one of the most respected and valued undergraduate honor societies. I see physicians still putting it on their 'achievements' list.

;)

Last edited:
is tau beta pi (engineering honors society) not as respected as phi beta kappa??

They don't consider students in the business [or engineering] schools at my chapter.

Freakin LAME!

From what I understand Phi Kappa Phi is the equivalent of Phi Beta Kappa for any non-liberal arts majors

From what I understand Phi Kappa Phi is the equivalent of Phi Beta Kappa for any non-liberal arts majors

Could be - but I never hear anyone mention it on here as worthy of listing on the app...

"PBK, PBK, PBK..." :thumbdown:

Ah well, gotta keep playing the game.

Just depends on what you do with your organization, not the title itself. You can be involved in some leadership activity or volunteer work. They also have scholarships, but you have to pay a whole lot just to be a member.

Many of these so called honor societies automatically send you invitations if you have 3.5+, so I look at it sort of like a Dean's list but you have to pay to earn the title.

Just depends on what you do with your organization, not the title itself. You can be involved in some leadership activity or volunteer work. They also have scholarships, but you have to pay a whole lot just to be a member.

Many of these so called honor societies automatically send you invitations if you have 3.5+, so I look at it sort of like a Dean's list but you have to pay to earn the title.

Yes, but it seems the general consensus is that PBK is one of (if not the only) honor society worth mentioning on your app as a typical undergrad [and is thus viewed as a nice achievement]... yet PBK excludes certain majors from being eligible (which is their obvious right, if they are all bout 'dem liberal arts). However, it leaves us [apparently] pariah majors disadvantaged -- since it appears that none of our respective honor societies are considered as "noteworthy" in this process.

I've heard of it. Join it; it's all a game. You will want something to write down when it comes to "honors".

Last edited: