Significance of clerkship psych grade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phagocytosis41

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi all, I received an '88' which is a 'B' in my 3rd year clinical clerkship psychiatry rotation. However that was the first rotation I've ever taken in medical school and I didn't know I wanted to do psych. Fast forward to now, I would've def. gotten an 'A' if I knew I wanted to do psych but can't change the past. I did get 2 'As' in 4th year Psych electives if those matter. Does this hold as a problem/red flag when applying for psych residencies for the 2021 NRMP match? My other aspects of my app are pretty solid so jw about that. 230+ both steps, strong LORs, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

You are fine. Try to tone down the neuroticism before your interviews.

Reactions: 6 users
I got a “high pass” instead of honors in my third year clerkship. I honored my psych electives in fourth year. Matched my first choice and no one asked about it. You’re fine. You can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks all. I have another Q..
I have nothing to put it under Medical student awards but have a few things from undergrad like graduating top 35%, graduating Magna Cum Laude, being on the deans list 2-3 semesters, being in the honors scholars program 1 year and emerging scholars another year. Do these things from college really make a difference in getting interviews/matching when I have nothing from med school? Thanks.

Thanks all. I have another Q..
I have nothing to put it under Medical student awards but have a few things from undergrad like graduating top 35%, graduating Magna Cum Laude, being on the deans list 2-3 semesters, being in the honors scholars program 1 year and emerging scholars another year. Do these things from college really make a difference in getting interviews/matching when I have nothing from med school? Thanks.

No, only put things from undergrad which are relevant to your career now or that you’d include on your CV as a psychiatrist. Research Presentations/publications, nationally recognized awards, etc. I guess you could put Magna Cum Laude, but I wouldn’t care. Many people will have this section blank. Don’t sweat it.

Reactions: 1 user
No, only put things from undergrad which are relevant to your career now or that you’d include on your CV as a psychiatrist. Research Presentations/publications, nationally recognized awards, etc. I guess you could put Magna Cum Laude, but I wouldn’t care. Many people will have this section blank. Don’t sweat it.
I added 2 research posters from undergrad since i'm big into research, but that's about it.