Silent rejections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kj8210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a similar thread like this but I was wondering what you guys thought of my specific stats and if I might have been silently rejected? I have a 3.37 cgpa and a 3.27 sgpa with a 26 MCAT score. I called one of the schools back since I haven't heard back from any schools (applied to about 10 of them) and its already been around 2 months, and I asked if I was silently rejected and the admissions person said they have no idea but it could mean that or it could mean they will look at my application later on in the cycle. He also mentioned that I marked that I would be taking the January MCAT but I decided I wasn't going to and I changed that on my application but I guess they didn't download the most updated one. Anyway do you guys thinks that I was silently rejected or that schools are going to review my application later on in the cycle because my stats are lower and they still think I'm taking a January 2014 MCAT?

P.S. - Sorry for the long rant I just needed an answer from others who have experienced or have gone throug the same thing!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless they notify you that you're on pre-interview hold or have been rejected then you should just assume that they are still considering whether or not to give you an interview...a lot of people are still holding on to multiple acceptances cause its still relatively early in the cycle so once the deposit deadline arrives many of them will give up some of their acceptances...which means most schools will have more seats available again and send out interview invites to people they were considering...you should definitely tell the schools that you are not taking the January MCAT cause they could be holding your application until your new score arrives

Reactions: 1 user
are pre-interview holds given through email? Also, I tried informing schools through email but none got replied to me so I just assumed they received the email and marked it down or something. I also changed on the primary application but I dont know if they re-download updated versions of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not all schools do silent rejections. So in general no news is good news.

Reactions: 1 users
are pre-interview holds given through email? Also, I tried informing schools through email but none got replied to me so I just assumed they received the email and marked it down or something. I also changed on the primary application but I dont know if they re-download updated versions of it.

Try calling the schools and confirm if they received your email...I think pre-interview holds are given through email but I'm not for sure...it might also vary between schools...I'm not sure if you applied to DMU but I know that they will tell you if you get an ii or not in about 60 days..

I saw a similar thread like this but I was wondering what you guys thought of my specific stats and if I might have been silently rejected? I have a 3.37 cgpa and a 3.27 sgpa with a 26 MCAT score. I called one of the schools back since I haven't heard back from any schools (applied to about 10 of them) and its already been around 2 months, and I asked if I was silently rejected and the admissions person said they have no idea but it could mean that or it could mean they will look at my application later on in the cycle. He also mentioned that I marked that I would be taking the January MCAT but I decided I wasn't going to and I changed that on my application but I guess they didn't download the most updated one. Anyway do you guys thinks that I was silently rejected or that schools are going to review my application later on in the cycle because my stats are lower and they still think I'm taking a January 2014 MCAT?

P.S. - Sorry for the long rant I just needed an answer from others who have experienced or have gone throug the same thing!

Don't give up, you'll get in. Touchpause13 got into DMU (somehow, probably a computer error on their part) and you can too. No news means you haven't been rejected yet, the January MCAT is probably messing you up. Make sure the schools know you are not retaking. Good luck.

Don't give up, you'll get in. Touchpause13 got into DMU (somehow, probably a computer error on their part) and you can too. No news means you haven't been rejected yet, the January MCAT is probably messing you up. Make sure the schools know you are not retaking. Good luck.

Seriously, dude? :rolleyes: It must feel great to put down the accomplishments of others. :confused:

Reactions: 6 users
SOMA send their rejection letters thru snail mail... Just to let you know. I still can't believe they do that!

Michigan:
STOP FOLLOWING ME
I don't know if you have some sick obsession with me, but going onto damn near every thread I have posted on and calling me stupid and bringing up abortion is so weird and creepy. This is stalking behavior. I thought you making fun of me for wanting a PS4 and saying I should play a video game "where I kill babies har har" was freaky, but this? You are going to insult me in a random pre-osteo thread? Back off!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Michigan:
STOP FOLLOWING ME
I don't know if you have some sick obsession with me, but going onto damn near every thread I have posted on and calling me stupid and bringing up abortion is so weird and creepy. This is stalking behavior. I thought you making fun of me for wanting a PS4 and saying I should play a video game "where I kill babies har har" was freaky, but this? You are going to insult me in a school-specific thread? Back off!!!!

You back off, you're the one insistent upon murdering the innocent...if that isn't weird then I don't know what is.

Please don't derail this thread guys/gals!

You back off, you're the one insistent upon murdering the innocent...if that isn't weird then I don't know what is.
Michigan1212,
You should stop this behavior immediately. It is extremely unprofessional and unwarranted.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think in this process everyone becomes an expert in rejection lol. More likely than not you aren't going to be accepted into every school you apply to. It's all quite humbling and can seem completely random at times. My advice is to not be afraid of rejection. We all get rejected, its the picking yourself up and dusting urself off that counts.

Also things have a way of working themselves out, I was rejected by MUCOM last cycle, reapplied and got into my dream school that I had no shot at the previous cycle. And now I'm enjoying my gap year spending time with my family. :shrug:

Reactions: 6 users
I think in this process everyone becomes an expert in rejection lol. More likely than not you aren't going to be accepted into every school you apply to. It's all quite humbling and can seem completely random at times. My advice is to not be afraid of rejection. We all get rejected, its the picking yourself up and dusting urself off that counts.

Also things have a way of working themselves out, I was rejected by MUCOM last cycle, reapplied and got into my dream school that I had no shot at the previous cycle. And now I'm enjoying my gap year spending time with my family. :shrug:

I'm impressed how poised and calm you are when dealing with frustrating and irrational people...you're going to be an amazing doctor!! =D

Stay classy San Diego!

Can we get a mod with a banhammer up in hurr? ;)

Reactions: 2 users

I know its hard, but be patient and also don't be afraid to call schools to show you are interested. Like others have said, the first deposit deadline is coming soon and there should be an increase in activity after that. Good luck to you!

OP: I think you will be re-reviewed after your new MCAT. I know waiting suckssss but I think you have a good shot at getting in somewhere even with your current MCAT score

Grow up. If you deal with people you disagree with in this manner now, I can't imagine you're going to last a day in medical school or the greater adult world.

Not to mention Pre-Osteo has already seen a user lose their acceptance over similar (and, in my opinion, less antagonistic) behavior.

Reactions: 3 users
Guys please don't get off track and touchpause13 I'm glad that this cycle has gone really well for you. The problem is that I won't be taking the MCAT in January as I had originally planned because my current course load is actually alot more tough than I thought it would be. I emailed schools telling them that I won't be taking the January MCAT but none replied so I just assumed they received my email and marked it down somewhere. I'm hoping they are expecting a January MCAT score and thats why I haven't really heard back yet...

Guys please don't get off track and touchpause13 I'm glad that this cycle has gone really well for you. The problem is that I won't be taking the MCAT in January as I had originally planned because my current course load is actually alot more tough than I thought it would be. I emailed schools telling them that I won't be taking the January MCAT but none replied so I just assumed they received my email and marked it down somewhere. I'm hoping they are expecting a January MCAT score and thats why I haven't really heard back yet...

Have you called them? A lot of times they don't get to emails right away and calling is more direct

OP - I suggest sending updates, calling and generally making sure that they know you are still interested and are no longer planning to re-take the MCAT in January. They may have set your file aside to wait for that new score. Sometimes it takes a few calls to get things back on track. Be persistent but not pushy.

On another note: Touchpause - congrats on your acceptance and also on trying your best to stay above the fray on this thread. I think it shows a ton of class to just carry on when someone is misbehaving. :clap::thumbup:

No maybe I should try calling them all tomorrow and mention I'm not taking the January MCAT

Just last week, I called each one of my schools to ask about my status. I found out that I'm on pre-interview hold at one school (didn't specify when, but based on their tone, it sounded like my app has been on hold for a while now), which I never received any notification of. My portal still shows no change or update, so I would have no clue if I never would've called.

If I were you, I'd call each school and tell them that you sent an email regarding your decision to no longer retake the MCAT and that you just want to confirm they received your email and have made the necessary changes to your application, for your own peace of mind. Admissions offices are incredibly busy right now, so your very best bet is to not assume anything, and instead, err on the side of caution and double-check each and every piece of information you submit.

This. I was flat out rejected at two schools at which I had great interviews and fit their geographical mission... It struck me in the face. Before that, though, I was accepted into a school that I thought was pretty awesome( pcom) so it is definitely humbling to say the least.

On the topic of silent rejections, I have even completed at Tcom since last may lol and they haven't rejected me yet. Seriously!?

What schools did you apply to? I find it hard to believe that no one has gotten back to you after 2 months.

I applied to :
*LECOM
*NYCOM
*Touro NY
*PCOM
*VCOM
*UNECOM
*NJCOM

basically anything I could find on the east coast

I applied to :
*LECOM
*NYCOM
*Touro NY
*PCOM
*VCOM
*UNECOM
*NJCOM

I applied to some of those schools and haven't heard a single word... a few of those places like high MCAT scores.

I sent out my application 3 months ago and I'm already done with 4 interviews.

It's your choice, I would apply to more schools with a quicker turn around. They might not be the ideal location but with a 26 MCAT your chances of getting an II are going to decline after January.

I applied to :
*LECOM
*NYCOM
*Touro NY
*PCOM
*VCOM
*UNECOM
*NJCOM

Your stats tell me you need more schools on your list, in general. Nova is on the coast, too.

is it worth sending out primaries to other schools in the mid-west area or is it too late?

Just submitted primaries to these schools:
ATSU-Kirksville
ACOM (alabama)
AZCOM
CCOM
Marian
PCOM-GA
Kansas City
NOVA
West Virgina

better?

Just submitted primaries to these schools:
ATSU-Kirksville
ACOM (alabama)
AZCOM
CCOM
Marian
PCOM-GA
Kansas City
NOVA
West Virgina

better?
I would add LUCOM and LMU-DCOM if you haven't applied to them yet and you are willing to go anywhere.