Silent Rejections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaveAnOsteoblast

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are silent pre-II rejections the norm for DO schools? I've only gotten one pre-II rejection, and it's already been almost a month -- dead silence from >20 schools. Most didn't even send me secondary submission confirmation emails.

At what point can I stop compulsively checking my email and safely assume that my application has been thrown into the trash at all these schools? This total silence is making for quite a spooky Halloween.

Members don't see this ad.

Deep breath. You are not the only application in the pile. We are human and people can only look through so many a week. Think about it. A school gets 5000+ applications. Some are rejected right away. Some are given secondary. Say they review 100 per week, it takes a little bit of time.

This cycle goes through April.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat, but the real I'm posting is to say your username is amazing...

Reactions: 1 users
Bro you have been complete for 4 weeks? Its going to take a lot longer this late most schools I doubt will review your app until Jan-Feb.
Ive been complete for 3 months at PCOM and LECOM and a pile of MDs and crickets.

Reactions: 1 user
Bro you have been complete for 4 weeks? Its going to take a lot longer this late most schools I doubt will review your app until Jan-Feb.
Ive been complete for 3 months at PCOM and LECOM and a pile of MDs and crickets.

I submitted secondaries in early October, so more than 4 weeks. Closer to 6 or 7? :(

Patience is a virtue, and all applicants should consider themselves rejected until they have that accept email in their Inbox.

I 100% get that and agree, Professor Goro — but as you know, this is such a costly, life-determining process and there’s so little transparency... kinda driving me nuts.

Im cheering for you, but I know for a fact we advised you to wait until next cycle because you are borderline late.
You got 4 II? Congrats!
I forgot TUN send me an in review email and then silence again...

Im cheering for you, but I know for a fact we advised you to wait until next cycle because you are borderline late.
You got 4 II? Congrats!

Nobody advised me to wait until next cycle.

Thanks! Rooting for you too!

I def did, I don’t wanna go dig it up :/

You got 4 II? Congrats!

You told someone with their stats to wait until next cycle? They applied late September, early October... Horrible advice.

OP good job applying... Now just be patient and wait it out. Good things will come!

Reactions: 2 users
I’m def mixing you up with someone else. :p

Reactions: 2 users
When I applied in late September, my earliest interviews were in mid November and early December. I was still getting II in March though. You’re still in this. But it’s not logical to expect timely interviews with an untimely application.

Most schools at this point in the game won’t give out new interviews before 2019. I know it’s impossible but try to enjoy your holiday. January and February will be busy for you.

When I applied in late September, my earliest interviews were in mid November and early December. I was still getting II in March though. You’re still in this. But it’s not logical to expect timely interviews with an untimely application.

Most schools at this point in the game won’t give out new interviews before 2019. I know it’s impossible but try to enjoy your holiday. January and February will be busy for you.

Thanks, I’m holding out hope.

How many II did you get past mid-December, if I may ask? ...I've only heard back from a quarter of the schools I applied to.

How many II did you get past mid-December, if I may ask? ...I've only heard back from a quarter of the schools I applied to.
It was a couple years back so I can’t remember well. I know at least 3 definitely. Sorry, but I really can’t remember if there were more so I’ll stick with that. But keep in mind we have different apps, applied to different amounts of schools during different cycles. It’s a random process and it’s really not possible to make rules and logic to it despite how much we want to.