Silly questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Power move = quoting the Wu Tang Clan during an otherwise mind numbing discussion of medication labels.
Diversity and Inclusion lol

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Why does insulin come so concentrated? I do peds and our pharmacy always delivers it in a TB syringe 100u/ml. Just a disaster waiting to happen.

Why does insulin come so concentrated? I do peds and our pharmacy always delivers it in a TB syringe 100u/ml. Just a disaster waiting to happen.

Small volume probably hurts less when patients inject themselves subQ.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not only would giving someone a vial of Neo for anti-nausea prophylaxis be awful but almost equally awful to treat hypotension with double dilute zofran

Our Pyxis machines scan the barcodes of the vials. I don’t rely on it but it helps.

We have a Safe Label System in the OR which prints labels upon scanning the upc - it’ll read out loud the medication as an added safety measure. I then scan the barcoded label into Epic when I administer the drug. Nothing beats reading the label, but these redundancies can only be helpful. It’s also a great compliance tool for when regulatory agencies come visiting - syringes and bags always labeled, dated, dose/ml, timed and initialed by person logged into the printer - presumably the person drawing the drug.

We have a Safe Label System in the OR which prints labels upon scanning the upc - it’ll read out loud the medication as an added safety measure. I then scan the barcoded label into Epic when I administer the drug. Nothing beats reading the label, but these redundancies can only be helpful. It’s also a great compliance tool for when regulatory agencies come visiting - syringes and bags always labeled, dated, dose/ml, timed and initialed by person logged into the printer - presumably the person drawing the drug.

What if it’s a drug that you weren’t anticipating of using? Do you find it hard to pull let’s say atropine, wait for the machine to read it, to draw up the meds and give it?

atropine or epinephrine or succinylcholine take your pick of drugs that you usually don’t have in a syringe already. Especially in the days of, drugs expire in 2 seconds after it hits air?

What if it’s a drug that you weren’t anticipating of using? Do you find it hard to pull let’s say atropine, wait for the machine to read it, to draw up the meds and give it?

atropine or epinephrine or succinylcholine take your pick of drugs that you usually don’t have in a syringe already. Especially in the days of, drugs expire in 2 seconds after it hits air?
I should clarify that my primary means of checking involves always reading the labels. Secondary check is probably scanning the barcode into Epic. I only use the Safe Label System for medications I'm not giving immediately or in total (ie: partial doses). No need to label a medication/syringe that I'm drawing and dosing immediately.

So whats the most number of drugs you can mix together in one syringe?
Can ppf, remi, roc, dilaudid, dex, ancef, ketorolac go in one syringe? Asking for a friend

• Haha
So whats the most number of drugs you can mix together in one syringe?
Can ppf, remi, roc, dilaudid, dex, ancef, ketorolac go in one syringe? Asking for a friend

On the pedi side I know plenty of people who routinely put propofol, opioid, lido, dex, decadron, zofran, ketorolac, and ancef all in one syringe push after mask induction / IV access. I wouldn't let that sit in the drawer all day and still push it, but as long as it goes into a vein within 10-15 minutes it works great without any precipitates forming.

Why would you push remi and dilaudid

You can basically put anything in there. If you leave lido and prop sitting around together >30 mins, the prop is a little less effective in a time dependent manner. I don't mix zofran with other stuff. There are a few other drugs that aren't compatible as well.