Silly Residency Programs Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bad virus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Carefully puts on flame ******ant jacket*

Basically, what places would be good for me to do an away rotation at and to start looking at when the time comes to apply?

My prefrences are listed below.

Region: West of the Rockies (but will look at any program if it has other qualities). The warmer and more outdoorsy the better, but I don't mind doing one in Brooklyn if its the best training (you only do residency once).

Turf: EM is primary on most things that walk into the EM. (example, EM gets first try at fracture reductions and consults Ortho if it is needed; EM runs trauma and surgery is on for consult).

Length: Doesn't really matter to me (no loans to pay off)

Oppurtunities: Allows you to be able to get a good position in academic medicine after graduation or a fellowship. Has good international oppurtunities. Residents get to fly on the heli. Level 1 trauma center.

Personality: I am an adhd spectrum goofball that can get my stuff together when I need to be serious. Thus the faculty and colleagues I work with must be laid back. I invest deeply in my coworkers/team and expect the same, so I cannot and will not work with the pressed white coat and slacks with a tie who can't take a joke crew. I need a more relaxed enviornment to be able to learn.

Dreams: Basically, my goal is to work 6 months over seas with NGO's and 6 months state side at a university doing research on adult education and doing lectures.

About me (I don't think it matters, but whatever):
Step 1: Well above the 240's so it won't really matter what the specific number is.
3rd year: Pan honors so far but I think our school practices a bit of grade inflation.
research: 2 projects in Pediatric/Ortho-Oncology (No pubs yet).
Experience: Mostly hippy like community service and a few leadership roles and work while in school.
Hobbies: Living in the woods (If I could I would)

Here is what a few of the residents recomeded.

1. UofA in Tuscon
2. Utah
3. LAC/USC
4. Maricopa in AZ
5. Harbor
6. Highland

I know nothing about any of these programs. Tuscon sounds cool because it is a copy of my home city. I don't care how prestigious the program is or isn't, just that it fits with my prefrences.

Anyway forgive me for the sillyness of the question and my spelling (typed on androind phone). Thanks for the advice and take care.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a sticky at the top of reviews of almost all EM residencies. that would be a good place to start.

There's a sticky at the top of reviews of almost all EM residencies. that would be a good place to start.

yeah, thanks. I've been going through it. pretty labor intensive, but good reads.

2 questions

Is your nickname from Metal Gear Solid?

how is the program at your school if you have one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just typed a long winded response to this and accidentally hit the back button and lost it all..

1. UofA. From what I hear, a clone of UNM. If you want a different EM experience, I would try for a different hospital and region that affords a different look and different patient population. Otherwise, this place is awesome, and I would strongly consider applying here if you think the southwest is your jam.

2. Utah: Great program, great people. All rotators I know had a blast here. August/September months would afford sweet outdoor hiking options, and November/December (though late) would be SWEET skiiing options (not this year though, the snow was terrible early...) All who I spoke with that rotated here ranked it number one (a good metric in my eyes)

3. USC/LAC: It's like EM, but on PCP (minus the aggro). Nonstop, crazy volume, trauma like I've never seen. I rotated here for a month. It was a great experience. Residents are awesome and you get to work with an assigned resident for a week or two at a time, so you get to know their style and can get to know them and their feel for everything about the program. Grand rounds is great, resident lectures for students are great. Senior residents are fantastic. Expensive to live here for a month, need a car, but no end to activities if you find the time when not working.

4. Maricopa: Find recent post regarding someone's away experience here.

5. Harbor: Big name, big history. Spoke to people who for the most part loved their rotation here. Older hospital, but sick patients and apparently great opportunities to do things as a medical student. I spent a day there shadowing the residents while I was in LA, and thought it was sweet. They didn't feel the same about me though (no interview...) :(

6. Highland: With one exception, I have found that rotating here means you rank them number 1, and you're prepared to donate your first born child to get there. Very competitive and seemingly not the usual "first come first served" away application. I was rubbed the wrong way by a curt clerkship coordinator, but that shouldn't discourage anyone else, since it seems totally unconnected. Like LAC/USC, wild ED with massive trauma and high volume of sick patients. Living here requires a car, so I hear, as you don't really want to walk/bike from anywhere close by. The one student I talked to who chose to do this said on his way in to work, he biked past an altercation near the hospital that resulting in gunfire once he was about 50 yards away. Probably good for EM experience, but not for self-preservation.

Wow! You and I are very similar in our goals and preferences.... I cannot confirm whether or not these programs include heli experience, but based on your other preferences I would also recommend checking out UCSF Fresno, Nevada, OSHU and UNM.

yeah, thanks. I've been going through it. pretty labor intensive, but good reads.

2 questions

Is your nickname from Metal Gear Solid?

how is the program at your school if you have one?

haha indeed it is from MGS. I thought he was the coolest character ever, him and his stealth camouflage LOL

Anyways, I do have a program at my school, but it really isn't worth mentioning. You should try to do an away at a more nationally known place.