Silly Step II question for my path peeps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Posted this on the Step II forum, but as I so highly value my path colleagues' opinions (and the low traffic on the other forum ;) ), thought I'd post here as well. Apologies in advance...

wrt USMLE practice blocks that you can download from their site, are they predictive of the difficulty of the actual exam? (more, less, same?) Found them much easier than USMLEWorld (as expected). Just trying to callibrate the panic scale for tomorrow. :D

Also, as a curiosity, are those the same as what people are referring to as the NBME assessment? I should be more up-to-date on this stuff. :rolleyes:

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Best,
P

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Posted this on the Step II forum, but as I so highly value my path colleagues' opinions (and the low traffic on the other forum ;) ), thought I'd post here as well. Apologies in advance...

wrt USMLE practice blocks that you can download from their site, are they predictive of the difficulty of the actual exam? (more, less, same?) Found them much easier than USMLEWorld (as expected). Just trying to callibrate the panic scale for tomorrow. :D

Also, as a curiosity, are those the same as what people are referring to as the NBME assessment? I should be more up-to-date on this stuff. :rolleyes:

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Best,
P

Hi there,
Do you mean the NBME assessment tests? I found those tests to be extremely predictive. So much so that I thought perhaps the NBME guys have a tie up with USMLE testing guys to adjust the scores at each place....:) :)
Obv I'm kidding...

Also, as a curiosity, are those the same as what people are referring to as the NBME assessment?
P

oops I failed to notice that in the earlier post.

Members don't see this ad :)
For both step 2 and step 3, I thought the practice questions were easy. The level of difficulty of the real test is comparable or maybe a tad bit harder than the practice questions...but not very much deviation.

If you rocked the practice NBME questions, you should do just fine.

I just used FA for Step 2 and USMLEworld and did pretty well (see the USMLEworld thread in the Step 2 forum for more study details). I thought the questions on USMLEworld were pretty comparable, although the stems on the real exam were much longer (and boring). I was also out of third year for more than 1.5 years when I took the exam, so no worries since you have been out for so long, just give yourself an extra week to prepare (4 weeks instead of 3). I took an NBME assessment about 2 weeks before my exam and it was predictive of my score within 4 points, although if you don't want to spend the extra $50 I don't think its that beneficial.

Thanks all. Very helpful in taking the edge off. ;)

Gotta love standardized, multiple choice tests as indicators of how good a physician one will be. :rolleyes: Oh well, better than nothing, I suppose.

Psyched just to be getting it done.

P