Silverberg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjw0918

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything about the new Silverberg Surg Path/Cyto 2-volume book set? It's copyright 2006. Don't know if it's available now or after Jan 1. Can't decide what surg path text to get and I like the idea of surg path and cyto together for correlation. Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about that one as well although I already have the latest Rosai. The previous edition of Silverberg wasn't too bad but I liked Rosai better. This new edition does look promising. It really comes down to personal preference. One bit of advice: don't rush out and buy a surg path text until you've checked out the ones you're interested in. It's a hefty investment so make sure you find the one that's right for you.

I can't decide which one to buy either. It will really chap my ass to buy a set and find out a new edition will be out next year. I think I've settled on Rosai, but I haven't picked which bank I'm going to rob to buy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrBloodmoney said:
I can't decide which one to buy either. It will really chap my ass to buy a set and find out a new edition will be out next year. I think I've settled on Rosai, but I haven't picked which bank I'm going to rob to buy it.
The new Silverberg is much better than Rosai- mainly on the readability level- having the cyto there is nice also- just my take- but I am at Maryland so we have a Silverberg bias.

hey pbp4 - i'm sending you a private message.

Here we are required to like Sternberg better because one of the main authors is a prof here ;)

I read Silverberg a bit during my PSF and thought some of the chapters were very good, particularly the medical lung. I think it all comes down to a matter of preference, and you have to try them all out and see the layouts and organization and see which one suits your learning style best.

UVA is heavily Sternberg-biased, too. I was at the local medical bookstore just last week, and they had a shiny new Silverberg.. unfortunately it was securely shrink-wrapped and therefore unperusable.. I guess I'll just wait until the library gets it.

DrBloodmoney said:

Update:

After thumbing through a fellow resident's brand new copy I have decided to go with the new Silverberg.

I often wonder, on that note, how useful the "thumb-through" actually is. On a couple of occasions I have done this and gotten a book, only to find out later when I actually use it and read it that I am disappointed and the thumb through gave me mistaken impressions. I don't really know what that means or if there is a better way to do it, but there it is.

I think you will find all the information you need in either one. In my opinion, there two main differences between the 2 books. The first is that Silverberg tries to include both cytology and surgicals in the same book, which is awesome. It incoporates both knowledges in the chapters and give us the insight of a daily practices, since we often have cases that we need to correlate both and with the frozen section labs so present in both community and university practice. However, if you really need cytology references, go for a cytology book. The second difference is that Rosai writes almost the whole book by himself, which I find amazing. I dont believe anybody else in the world could do that nowadays. On the other hand, Silverberg book is written by authorities of each field, and this, in my opinion, make it more reliable. Both are great. I go with Silverberg, but i am also from Maryland, and thus entirely biased.