SIMPLE BIOLOGY QUESTION from Cliffs DAT!! Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodneymoss

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand Cliff DAT book is full of errors, but i recently downloaded the book off library.nu(amazing website):D, u can download most textbooks.

Anyways.. I tried the DAT test that they have at the end.. and the first question was,....

The primary function of the mitochondria found in eukaryotic cells is to

A. carry out protein synthesis.
B. control the physical properties of the cell.
C. control the biochemical properties of the cell.
D. produce energy for cellular functions.
E. manufacture glucose.

What is the answer??

Members don't see this ad.

I understand Cliff DAT book is full of errors, but i recently downloaded the book off library.nu(amazing website):D, u can download most textbooks.

Anyways.. I tried the DAT test that they have at the end.. and the first question was,....

E. manufacture glucose.

What is the answer??

Umm, I don't know if posting an exact question from a source is frowned upon on these forums or not but I'll try and just answer your general question about mitochondria and their function rather than referring to the material posted.

Mitochondria are the "power plants" of the cell and produce large amounts of ATP due to the reactions of the electron transport chain occurring in the inner mitochondrial membrane where electrons are passed from different carriers with oxygen being the final electron acceptor.

Some cells requiring large amounts of energy such as sperm cells for instance have incredibly large amounts of mitochondria to drive the propulsion of their flagella.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Umm, I don't know if posting an exact question from a source is frowned upon on these forums or not but I'll try and just answer your general question about mitochondria and their function rather than referring to the material posted.

Mitochondria are the "power plants" of the cell and produce large amounts of ATP due to the reactions of the electron transport chain occurring in the inner mitochondrial membrane where electrons are passed from different carriers with oxygen being the final electron acceptor.

Some cells requiring large amounts of energy such as sperm cells for instance have incredibly large amounts of mitochondria to drive the propulsion of their flagella.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks.. I asked the question because Cliffs AP's answer to the question is answer E.. Didn't know mitochondria produced glucose lol.. but its all good.

Thanks for the response.

E. manufacture glucose.

What is the answer??

Mitochondria can produce glucose via gluconeogenesis, however I don't think that's the primary function of mitochondria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

Members don't see this ad :)
ya I would definitely say that's mismarked and the correct answer should be D. Just remember that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, ive been learning that since second grade and it hasnt failed me yet.

btw thanks for posting that website, looks pretty cool.

ya I would definitely say that's mismarked and the correct answer should be D. Just remember that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, ive been learning that since second grade and it hasnt failed me yet.

btw thanks for posting that website, looks pretty cool.

Oh man no problem.. that website saves me money!.. but Thanks for the info!

Let me correct a previous post I made. I ment Cliffs DAT book, Not Cliffs Ap biology! Sorry guys.

im doing cliff's 5 AP practice tests, good stuff so far. anyone try em (the .nu gots it also, .nu is my ****)

I actually don't think the mitochondria's prime function is to manufacture glucose. I think it's the breakdown of glucose through glycolysis and the distribution of the side products to various biochemical pathways such as electron transport chain, TCA cycle, and oxidative phosphorylation. That all will produce ATP. The reason why I say this is because you don't really need to manufacture glucose if you don't need to, you can intake glucose from food.

Last edited:
I actually don't think the mitochondria's prime function is to manufacture glucose. I think it's the breakdown of glucose through glycolysis and the distribution of the side products to various biochemical pathways such as electron transport chain, TCA cycle, and oxidative phosphorylation. That all will produce ATP. The reason why I say this is because you don't really need to manufacture glucose if you don't need to, you can intake glucose from food.

Glycolysis happens in the cytosol. TCA cycle happens in the mito matrix, and ETC along the inner mito membrane. Mitochondria produce usable energy via ATP synthase. They're also shaped like little batteries :D

The first few steps of gluconeogenesis happens in the mitochondria because that is where the starting compounds are, but once they are transported out, the rest of it happens in the cytosol.

Hey I also have the Cliffs Test prep DAT and I looked at your question and the answer key does say the correct answer! I think you may have looked at the answer key for the second practice test, in which number 1 is E. :)

I think the answer should be D, as I remember mitochondria produces ATP and ATP is used by cell to carry out cellular processes.

E. manufacture glucose.

What is the answer??

Is this website free? or is the ebook version and u have to pay for it?

The primary function of mitochondria is def. energy production. Glucose synthesis occurs only in plants via carbon fixation, animals take in glucose pre made by consuming plants or other animals. The cellular resp. produce ~36 ATP depending on what source you read and that is many times more ATP than any other metabolic cycle. Case and point thats what sets them apart. Pretty sure they are suppose to hammer this stuff into your head in intro to cell bio. Atleast at my school hah On a side not I am using cliff's DAT review right now, it seems very simple compared to DAT destroyer.

Let me correct a previous post I made. I ment Cliffs DAT book, Not Cliffs Ap biology! Sorry guys.

Hey, I actually went on library.nu and searched 'Cliffs DAT book' and no results were found. do u have to first register? How does it go?