MrBeans

MrBeans
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Should one put their signature on their personal statement?

In other words, should I type my name at the end of my personal statement?

Thanks for any help, and I apologize if this is a stupid question because I couldn't find anything regarding this.

Dec 5, 2009
Status
Dental Student
No. I'm not sure, but from what I heard at an orientation-type thing for predents, an admissions person said something like, "We get your file and the first thing we do is flip to [x]." I gathered that your AADSAS application arrives to the schools as a little packet of info about you. Nothing should get mixed up.

Plus, it would take up character space!

MrBeans

MrBeans
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
No. I'm not sure, but from what I heard at an orientation-type thing for predents, an admissions person said something like, "We get your file and the first thing we do is flip to [x]." I gathered that your AADSAS application arrives to the schools as a little packet of info about you. Nothing should get mixed up.

Plus, it would take up character space!
Thanks psi, you're always a great help :)

My current personal statement is ~4,190 characters + spaces.

I'm having a hard time making use of those extra 310 :p I suppose I should try harder to make use of an extra sentence or two :laugh:

Dec 5, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I know that feeling of wanting to use all the given space, but its not always necessary. But, yeah, I get it.

When you get to that "stuck" feeling, its best to leave it alone for a few days and then come back. Its surprising how much you read as actually being there, but when you step back for a while, you read it again, and it seems so jumpy! Step back and relax for a while. You will be surprised.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
Thanks psi, you're always a great help :)

My current personal statement is ~4,190 characters + spaces.

I'm having a hard time making use of those extra 310 :p I suppose I should try harder to make use of an extra sentence or two :laugh:
Eliminate some words, instead of add useless filler words/statements. If you haven't added them by now they are, more than likely, do not have that much significance.

They rather read a short, elegant flowing masterpiece than one who attempted to put in just enough Jenga blocks so the tower didn't fall.

Mar 2, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Your name will be all over the application, personal statement letter is the last place it needs to be.