Simple Solution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To end the IMG argument there is a very simple solution to this problem: All licensed Physicians in the US must have attended medical school in the US. End of story. No Carribean, No offshore, No Medical Institute of Bali etc., not even the Oxfords, Sorbonnes, McGills or Frankfurts. Its very simple, takes a mere 1 piece of well written legislation and would have mass appeal. For IMGs, its only an extra 4 years of school, which if they were truly elite they would run roughshod over anyway, and the financial burden imposed would even out with the AMG burden.

Mkkay?

Members don't see this ad.

rirriri said:
hahahahahahaha

Biotch, laugh now but when Im elected to the US Senate, phear me.

Members don't see this ad :)
LADoc00 said:

i can't wait til you get confronted with 20,000 medical school applicants who are pissed off cos immigrants took all their spots in medical school admissions.

nice one, genius! hehehehe. ;)

trent05 said:
What a bright idea! Bet let's not stop there. Let's have them repeat college, highschool, and elementary school here in the great US of A. Maybe then they will almost be equal to the elite LADOC. A simple solution for a simple mind.

First off you could go to Harrvhad Med and you wouldnt equal me, secondly, it would do far more to help IMGs evade stigma, as well as create an even playing field. This is sensible policy for a sensible America, and you know what?? I could guarantee get a majority of people to vote for this, its completely in the bag.

Seriously, why not let someone fooking do a correspondance course in Tijuana for an MD then do residency in Guam, if they get a 250 boards they must be elite right?

rirriri said:
i can't wait til you get confronted with 20,000 medical school applicants who are pissed off cos immigrants took all their spots in medical school admissions.

nice one, genius! hehehehe. ;)

Anger, I sense anger in the force. Hence you must be a IMG with inner hostilites...did your home country abuse you, sexually? Its cool dude, you can pepper with me hate. The real question is whether you can even vote.

Hahaha jokes on you bro. Democracy rocks! :laugh:

LADoc00 said:
Anger, I sense anger in the force. Hence you must be a IMG with inner hostilites...did your home country abuse you, sexually? Its cool dude, you can pepper with me hate. The real question is whether you can even vote.

Hahaha jokes on you bro. Democracy rocks! :laugh:
erm. sorry wanker. born here. raised here.

so much for your assumptions ;)

rirriri said:

this puts a damn damper on my day. up to now i though he had mad l33t profilin' skillz.

AndyMilonakis said:
this puts a damn damper on my day. up to now i though he had mad l33t profilin' skillz.
what up a-dawg. long time no see! :D

rirriri said:
what up a-dawg. long time no see! :D
wadup dude, me bes chillin' waitin for tomorrow. had too many drinks at lunch. sobering up in lab now. what about you?

haha..nice!

i wish i was in your position. i'm still trapped in the middle of the scramble...although things are looking up today. still have to wait to hear the final decision(s) after they have departmental conferences to decide.

time for a stress seizure break. lol.

rirriri said:
haha..nice!

i wish i was in your position. i'm still trapped in the middle of the scramble...although things are looking up today. still have to wait to hear the final decision(s) after they have departmental conferences to decide.

time for a stress seizure break. lol.
I hope you get a spot real soon and you can go out and celebrate! :thumbup:

AndyMilonakis said:
I hope you get a spot real soon and you can go out and celebrate! :thumbup:
that's why i'm even looking for a spot. so i can celebrate! LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
rirriri said:
that's why i'm even looking for a spot. so i can celebrate! LOL

do you have to interview for any of the positions or are you just faxing in and callin' the peeps?

rirriri said:

Dude, if you turned the hostility down a notch someone somewhere might hire you.

Dont end up all bitter and h8ing like me, there can be only one of me.

AndyMilonakis said:
do you have to interview for any of the positions or are you just faxing in and callin' the peeps?
i've had pretty much phone interviews so far. i think for the most part that's how it goes in the Path world. i'm not sure how it is in other fields....but Pathologists are laidback and all, as we all know ;)

the phone interviews were kind of bizarre though. they were like conference calls y'know? so there would be 2-4 docs on the other line listening and asking questions. Once in a while i'd hear a voice i'd never even heard until 10 minutes into the call and i'd think "woah!!!! where did you come from!" LOL

LADoc00 said:
Dude, if you turned the hostility down a notch someone somewhere might hire you.

Dont end up all bitter and h8ing like me, there can be only one of me.
you get what you give, fool!

rirriri said:
you get what you give, fool!

Dude, are you a Native American Studies professor at University of Colorado? I think I know you.....

no no. i study US Senate Policy and Regulations in a small hut in a quaint village of Cambodia.

thank you come again!

For an IMG, will there need to be some sacrifices done in order to get a residency at all? For me the situation is so that the peticular residencies, or specialties if I should say, I'm interested in, are the most competitive. These include ENT, ortho surgery and derm (derm mostly for good hours&money tho ). Is there any way match for example in ENT? Sure I could get my PhD done first and then come to the US but is that good at all? Or should I match for ENT over here and get two years training to have better chances of matching?

Real IMG posting. I love the candor, read between the lines on this.

LADoc00 said:
Real IMG posting. I love the candor, read between the lines on this.
what's your point? everyone says that, whether they are AMG/IMG whatever.

not everyone goes into Derm cos they think the science is mindblowing. If you think that, you're assuming too much....again.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with our IMG hemepath fellow:

Me: so why did you choose hemepath
Him: I heard they make a lot of money
Me: Really? You didn't have some other interest in it?
Him: No, I looked at all the fellowships open and tried to get dermpath, but that mostly goes to americans. But this hemepath fellowship was open and I've heard with cytogenetics and flow they can make quite a bit
Me: So are you going to pursue private practice or try for academics
Him: I'm not really that interested in research, so I'll go private probably for one of those big groups...I had an offer in cali for 200,000 and I would work 6 days a week, 10 hours a day
Me: what would you be doing all that time, that's a really long time to sit at the scope
Him: I'd be at the scope mostly all day, but 200,000 in cali is good money
Me: ooohkay, roll eyes

rirriri said:
what's your point? everyone says that, whether they are AMG/IMG whatever.

not everyone goes into Derm cos they think the science is mindblowing. If you think that, you're assuming too much....again.

Whats my point? My point is that certain residencies funded by Social Security tax payer dollars mind you are equivalent of lottery tickets. Those lottery tickets are in no way being handed out in any fair way. Dude, I circumvented the whole match process for love of the Almighty, I benefited from cronyism and I dont think its fair. Academics is a ebil and corrupt place. That is the point of all this. They are ebil, ebil and mean.

trent05 said:
You guys are right. Choosing a job because of good pay and good demand is sooooo un-American. Only them dog gone IMG's could think like that. I am honored to be in the presence of the elite LADOC and the righteous Pingu.

Laws were passed to allow J-1 visa physicians to be paid with taxpayer dollars to cover a perceived shortage of physicians and to return our medical expertise to other countries. That OBVIOUSLY isnt happening, thus these exceptions should be removed from the INS laws.
Its that simple. The very premise of the legal codes governing these ended up being bogus. I bet other IMGs already in the US would completely agree! end the flood of this and control the labor market for Christsakes.

But if you just want to fling poo, dude I cant wait to see when you are looking for a job...."Yes, Ill do anything, drink toliet water? Sure, sure, I need a just need a job."

Fortunately, we live in a democracy and although the electorate are dull minded at times, most would agree with me.

righteous Pingu

I would much rather be labeled as righteous than choose a specialty and fellowship that I have absolutely no interest in just for money. This guy was very up front, hemepath=cash, that was what he was going for.

He also wanted to pay me 5 dollars a slide to read the body fluid slides because he found them boring. The other fellow and I managed to convince him that as a 4th year med student, I clearly did not have the expertise to do this.

The point is that reasons for choosing a specialty don't have anything to do with country of origin, race, sex, med school, grades, or board scores. Rads is like 90% AMG, I'm sure none of them good ol' boy AMG's chose that field for the $$$. No way, they're into technology, and just like darkrooms.

LADoc00 said:
Laws were passed to allow J-1 visa physicians to be paid with taxpayer dollars to cover a perceived shortage of physicians and to return our medical expertise to other countries. That OBVIOUSLY isnt happening, thus these exceptions should be removed from the INS laws.
Its that simple. The very premise of the legal codes governing these ended up being bogus. I bet other IMGs already in the US would completely agree! end the flood of this and control the labor market for Christsakes.

But if you just want to fling poo, dude I cant wait to see when you are looking for a job...."Yes, Ill do anything, drink toliet water? Sure, sure, I need a just need a job."

Fortunately, we live in a democracy and although the electorate are dull minded at times, most would agree with me.
you are a joke, man.

the more you post, the more evident it is that you know next to nothing about the system, about the last 25 years of medicine, about IMG restrictions, about anything!

If you didn't have those J1 Visaholders taking positions which are more permanent, it would monkeys like yourself who would end up in a rural town in Idaho working for a sack of sandwiches and a couple bucks.

Medicine in this country was different 20 years ago. There were no restrictions on IMGs and/or Visa requirements. Compared to then, the current state of medical placement is much more advantagous towards AMGs. AMGs have every opportunity in this country, nobody is taking that away. IMGs often have to go through much more crap to even get to a level of competing.

the bottom line is that the Medical system in this country would have difficulty if it weren't for IMGs. You can try to make jokes about it, attempt to sound cool and witty (which you don't) and you can try to deny it....but it's been this way for at least 25 years and will continue to stay this way unless Medical Schools in the USA decide to increase their admissions pool and/or the health care system is made more efficient so that these Physicians from other countries will not be needed.

Also, if your reply is not going to be intelligent, spare us the ATP and don't type it.

rirriri said:
you are a joke, man.

the more you post, the more evident it is that you know next to nothing about the system, about the last 25 years of medicine, about IMG restrictions, about anything!

If you didn't have those J1 Visaholders taking positions which are more permanent, it would monkeys like yourself who would end up in a rural town in Idaho working for a sack of sandwiches and a couple bucks.

Medicine in this country was different 20 years ago. There were no restrictions on IMGs and/or Visa requirements. Compared to then, the current state of medical placement is much more advantagous towards AMGs. AMGs have every opportunity in this country, nobody is taking that away. IMGs often have to go through much more crap to even get to a level of competing.

the bottom line is that the Medical system in this country would have difficulty if it weren't for IMGs. You can try to make jokes about it, attempt to sound cool and witty (which you don't) and you can try to deny it....but it's been this way for at least 25 years and will continue to stay this way unless Medical Schools in the USA decide to increase their admissions pool and/or the health care system is made more efficient so that these Physicians from other countries will not be needed.

Also, if your reply is not going to be intelligent, spare us the ATP and don't type it.

How the fook would you know you *****? I think there was a time when path wasnt 50% IMGs and SOMEHOW the Country survived, you dipshiat.

All you know how to do is fling poo, good luck tryin to get a residency position with those mad skillz.

Attending: What is your differential for this spindle cell lesion?
Rirriririretard: Poo
Attending: Poo? What is that an acronym?
Riiriririretard: No, just poo, I got some, wanna see?

For some reason, I have noted that the amount of flaming on this forum has increased twenty-fold over the past day or so. The match is an experiment in what bad stress does to good people. Can't we all just get along? <ducks tomato>

LADoc00 said:
How the fook would you know you *****? I think there was a time when path wasnt 50% IMGs and SOMEHOW the Country survived, you dipshiat.

All you know how to do is fling poo, good luck tryin to get a residency position with those mad skillz.

Attending: What is your differential for this spindle cell lesion?
Rirriririretard: Poo
Attending: Poo? What is that an acronym?
Riiriririretard: No, just poo, I got some, wanna see?
you did not spare our ATP did you. jokes. i'll let you live in a bubble. carry on.

rirriri said:
you did not spare our ATP did you. jokes. i'll let you live in a bubble. carry on.

"Spare our ATP" is funny. I assure you that it is among the lonely few take-home messages from today's lively discussion.

rirriri said:

PD: Rirriri, our new resident at University de Puetro Rico, is presenting his research from last year.
Ririri (Poo Mafia): Thank you. My research is entitled" "Poo, our wonderous and histologically complex little friend." Ive created a grading system based loosely on the BNLI grade of Nodular Sclerosing CHL by subclassifying your basic dumps into those that are well formed, classic craps vs the more liquid, synctial variant.....

LADoc00 said:

Friends don't let friends go into politics.

Sheesh y'all! I do understand that match week is driving tensions through the roof, but not everyone who is causing a ruckus here is even participating in the match.

I for one come to this board to relax after a long day of stress. But the posts lately have only served to make me feel even worse! Can we please take it down a few notches? Tomorrow is Match Day, and it would be nice to enjoy this last evening before many of us find out where we'll be spending the next four years of our lives.

stormjen said:
Sheesh y'all! I do understand that match week is driving tensions through the roof, but not everyone who is causing a ruckus here is even participating in the match.

I for one come to this board to relax after a long day of stress. But the posts lately have only served to make me feel even worse! Can we please take it down a few notches? Tomorrow is Match Day, and it would be nice to enjoy this last evening before many of us find out where we'll be spending the next four years of our lives.
Amen stormjen!

Yes after a long 15 minute drive to work around noon, shortly after waking up, I go to work, turn on my laptop and come onto SDN to relax and chill and have a few laughs. Let's restore the lighthearted and fun atmosphere especially in the wake of an exciting day tomorrow.

No more fighting.

On a serious note, I hope everyone can one day get into path, work your butt off for Da Man (aka Lord of Ebil aka Academicians) and find yourself jobless with so many of my brethern in RL.

LADoc00 said:
On a serious note, I hope everyone can one day get into path, work your butt off for Da Man (aka Lord of Ebil aka Academicians) and find yourself jobless with so many of my brethern in RL.
Piss off. I'm gonna be successful!

LADoc00 said:
Determined as ever to have the last word, aren't you! :p

stormjen said:
I for one come to this board to relax after a long day of stress. But the posts lately have only served to make me feel even worse! Can we please take it down a few notches?

I completely and totally agree! Well said stormjen!! :thumbup:

Yeah - let's please tone down the rhetoric which does nothing except inflame passions. It's like politics - rhetoric never changes anyone's mind.

Let's leave it at that, ok?

LADoc00 said:

Sounds like fun 2 me!! I hear "Da Man" is a really personable guy. Someone to bring home to mom and dad

Sooo, when will somebody write a paper on the relationship between IMG/AMG's and the quality and standing of path departments?

Lemme give a little input... At Memorial Sloan-Kettering there's 32 attendings, of which.... wait for it.....
22 have a non-US degree. Similar #'s for MD Anderson.

Obviously they're not representative, except inasmuch as they're apparently, according to the US News hacks, the two top cancer hospitals in the US.

One might hypothesize that their reputation might falter somewhat, if they would all of a sudden loose all their FMG's, as per LADoc00's dictatorial decree.

Oh, and those two institutions aren't the worst-paying in the country among academic institutions, btw. So the idea that IMG's are the kiss of death for sixfigure paychecks is perhaps not entirely based on fact.

Damn! Promised myself that I wouldn't continue this stupid AMG-IMG war. I'll stop now. Promise..... Cross my heart or I'll go Green tomorrow.