Simple voltage question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman132

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reading that when voltage is + then it is discharging...

Does that mean it is losing electrons? (Not sure what the "discharging part indicates in general) What does a - voltage mean? (does it just mean recharging?)

Members don't see this ad.

You must be talking about voltage sources in circuits (aka batteries). Please give more info. But here's what I have for you: If you place a voltage source with its positive end against a current, you are essentially charging the batterie. To have this happen, you still need to obey kircfhoff's voltage law and this typically occurs because you have a larger voltage source somwhere driving the circuit.

Voltage is Current times the Resistance. V=iR. Know that electric current is the flow of positive charge. However, electron flow is the flow of negative electrons. I would advise doing tons of problems. After a while, it makes intuitive sense.

Also, think in terms of having a waterfall. Water falls from high potential (above) to low potential (below). Same as voltage. High voltage drives electric current toward the low voltage.

I am reading that when voltage is + then it is discharging...

Does that mean it is losing electrons? (Not sure what the "discharging part indicates in general) What does a - voltage mean? (does it just mean recharging?)

sort of. when a battery, a voltaic/galvanic cell, has a positive potential, it has the ability to discharge if the circuit is completed. meaning, the positive and negative electrodes (cathode/anode) are connected by a conductor allowing them to transfer electrons. you can have a cell potential of 1.5V, but it doesn't mean there is current. you have to complete the circuit to have electron flow, or to discharge the battery.