Simulated Exam at Test Site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinner Doc

drop knees, not bombs
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, because there are so many practice tests out there available to us, I am starting to get really confused... can anyone tell me how I can take a practice exam at an NBME test site? How do I register? Who do I call? Basically, how do I set this up?

I'm hoping to do one on 3/10, which is coming up, so I figured I should get crackin' on scheduling it...

Members don't see this ad.

Pinner Doc said:
OK, because there are so many practice tests out there available to us, I am starting to get really confused... can anyone tell me how I can take a practice exam at an NBME test site? How do I register? Who do I call? Basically, how do I set this up?

I'm hoping to do one on 3/10, which is coming up, so I figured I should get crackin' on scheduling it...

Here is what I know for sure:

Once you get your orange slip in the mail for the real test. If you haven't yet, you get this once you send in your registration materials. You use these numbers to schedule your actual test date through prometrics test centers. You also use the #'s on your orange card to register at nbme website to take a practice exam at the test center. Once you register on their site, they will send you a YELLOW card and you use THAT card to schedule a time for the PRACTICE test. I, personally, am waiting for my yellow card.

See this website:
https://external1.nbme.org/CBTPSRegistrationWeb/jsp/usmle_CBTPS_registration.jsp

The practice test you take at the center is the same 150 questions that you can download off the usmle web site or from their CD that they say they send you. I never got one, anybody else?

Here is what I'm still wondering about:
There are also some practice NBME tests that you can order for $45 each through the web site. It sounds like these don't come with answers. It sounds like the answers do not exist out there.

Hope this helps, and if you figure out about the NBME paid test answers, let me know.