SIMV Mode Outdated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cognitus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is SIMV an outdated setting on a ventilator? Does anyone know of any papers that would help support or argue against this? An attending asked me this and I have no idea how to answer. I'm currently in a MICU rotation and all I know is that it was used heavily in a SICU rotation I was on just 3 months ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Is SIMV an outdated setting on a ventilator? Does anyone know of any papers that would help support or argue against this? An attending asked me this and I have no idea how to answer. I'm currently in a MICU rotation and all I know is that it was used heavily in a SICU rotation I was on just 3 months ago.

Patients HATE it. And it's never been shown to be a superior mode to anything including weaning when just waking people up on "regular" modes and trialing them on PS/CPAP for awhile works fine.

No reason to use it. Ever. I understand the intuitive arguments but they are horse****. But when is the last time you could tell a surgeon anything? You can't. Just nod your head and say, "uh huh" when they are talking do you about it and plan to never use it again unless you have an attending who likes it.

Patients HATE it. And it's never been shown to be a superior mode to anything including weaning when just waking people up on "regular" modes and trialing them on PS/CPAP for awhile works fine.

No reason to use it. Ever. I understand the intuitive arguments but they are horse****. But when is the last time you could tell a surgeon anything? You can't. Just nod your head and say, "uh huh" when they are talking do you about it and plan to never use it again unless you have an attending who likes it.
You know of any of these key papers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Am j resp critical care med; 1994; 150; 896-903
NEJM 1995; 332; 345-350

Why do you need other people to do your homework for you?

Reactions: 3 users
Because I do not have time, silly. Your help is greatly appreciated

:rolleyes:

Your attending basically asked you to do a little research. So instead of spending 1 minute on a google search, you come here and ask others to do that research for you. Then you insult them. Strong.
I like how you completely ignored my expression of gratitude to make your crappy point. Strong work yourself.

I like how you completely ignored my expression of gratitude to make your crappy point. Strong work yourself.

Oh I'm sorry. You're so lazy you violated not one but two of the terms of the site (don't cross-post, don't ask for homework help), then called someone an idiot. But you said thank you so I guess it's all kosher.

Adult learning is hard, huh?

Oh I'm sorry. You're so lazy you violated not one but two of the terms of the site (don't cross-post, don't ask for homework help), then called someone an idiot. But you said thank you so I guess it's all kosher.

Adult learning is hard, huh?
I'm so glad I didn't do surgery. You guys can be such blowhards. I didn't call anyone an idiot and maybe you're offended because you realize you have nothing else to contribute

Status
Not open for further replies.