since UC's don't have early admission, is there a way to get an edge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After looking at my stats and considering the location, I think ucsd would probably be realistcally my #1 school. since it doesn't offer early admissions, is there a way i could get an extra edge by contacting the adcom or soemthing directly? send a letter of intent this summer? any of you done something similar wrt the UC schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to burst your bubble, but my answer would be probably not. My experience has been that all of the UC's for preliminary screening are VERY numbers-oriented.

Letters of intent are usually sent post-interview, especially when one is sitting on a bunch of waitlists with no (or few) acceptances.

The bottom line is it doesn't matter how much you like the UC's. They get the absolute cream of the crop of applicants, so they'll take who THEY like, not who likes them.

Also, the UC's are notoriously a bit of a crapshoot. Don't peg all your hopes on them. Definitely apply to a range of schools in-state and out..

hi coenocyte,

i'd say definitely don't write a letter of intent. what if you get in harvard? :)

but anyways (btw, i'll likely be going to ucsd this fall), besides the "traditional bug them until they send you a secondary," i have not heard anything else that will work this early in the stage -- except if you're chum with the adcomm director... i have a few friends that are close with the uci people and they got in with really low stats.

seriously, i wouldn't worry about this kinda stuff right now. just knock their socks off with an awesome personal statement and secondary (autobiographical, in the case of san diego)

goodluck!