Single and seeking...or shouldn't I?

S

StudentX

When I talk to those who are married abut their family lives, I see their eyes light up. I, who am single and not loving it, wish I could be in that position of having a wife to come home to at the end of the day with her. I get the sense that those who are married or at least in serious relationships have a stronger grounding force outside of medical school, a life outside of medicine, than bachy's like me.

But am I crazy for wanting to pursue a serious relationship/marriage as an MSI the age of 23?

In other words, single and seeking.... or shouldn't I? Any insight from those on the other side would be much 'ppreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

No, I don't think you're crazy. I'm 22, my fiance's 23, we're both MS1's and getting married in June. While some will argue that you "don't have time" for relationships in med school, I argue that you make time for what's important to you and you can't put your life on hold just because you're in med school...because after med school comes residency, then starting a practice, etc. There's just not going to come a time when you're less busy and it's more convenient. And having a SO significantly buffers the stress of med school. My fiance is the biggest blessing in my life, he feels the same way, and I'd never discourage anyone from pursuing this path. That said, you can't force it, just be open to it happening when it happens.

I agree with Jennie. There will never be a perfect time to begin a relationship; but, then, there doesn't have to be. Don't let med school, or rotations, or residency keep you from getting on with your life. On the other hand, you don't want to force a relationship either. Just keep an eye out....

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a problem to have many significant others? Will that interfere with my med classes?

Originally posted by StudentX
But am I crazy for wanting to pursue a serious relationship/marriage as an MSI the age of 23?

i always had this dream ever since i was in high school that i would find the man of my dreams in med school! :laugh: i don't think you are crazy at all! med school is stressful and i think it would be wonderful to share some of that with someone you love ;)

I'll definitely say that it's very tempting to want to date a classmate...med school offers so many opportunities within class to get to know someone. I wouldn't be surprised if I know my friends in class as well, if not better, than their SO's do. You just go through so much together, and the bonds inevitably form.

A pseudo-wise MS2 told me to date someone in a different class to minimize the possibilities for friction and awkwardness should things go downhill. But this is from a guy who can't even make time for a relationship himself. Whaddya folks think?

It is normal to date at 23.

Last edited:
dating will help u with ur anatomy :thumbup:

You will always make time for the things that matter most in your life. I value family and relationships more than my education. Therefore, I would say to you to go for it. This life on earth is short and you should strive to suck the very marrow out of it! If you find a good woman who is understanding of your goals and supports you, I believe you'll find that your relationship with her will ultimately strengthen you through medical school.

And LOL @ NRA :laugh: :smuggrin:

Converse said:
It is normal to date at 23. It is abnormal to lock yourself in a room, study all the time, and not make out with anyone until you graduate at 27. Good luck dating as an intern, HA!!!

If you see a cute girl you think you are compatible with and can treat right, it is your duty to ask her out. Don't let cupid down.
As you age, dating gets harder. Everyone is more realistic and all the good people got married or pick up fast, don't wait until the last call because pickings get slim fast. I see lots of chiefs and attendings bitter and single.

Having a special someone may help you in med school by giving you support and motivating you to study. You will have something to study for, a future and a family, rather than just for yourself and a career. Dating is more likely going to make your grades suffer. It may make your grades suffer, but who cares? This is love we'll talking about, we're not insects, all work and no play. If you must see things practically, it will make you happier in the long run. Happy doctors are better doctors.

Well it can go either way. Really ur best bet is to find a chick in med school or a professional school, who is a ***** in bed and a lady to the world. Seriously, you wanna find a chick who is hard working like you, and then spice it up together when you have time off. This will make it enjoyable for both of you and give you motivation to study. On the other hand, if you have a broad who is in an eazy program and all she wants to do is hang out, that could be disastrous for you. She just won't understand what you are going through. Let's face it majority of people will not know what you are going through. Studying all this time and "torturing yourself", but hey they just don't understand. But having an understanding gf in professional school is a big bonus. However, be careful of chicks that are not too busy, they will hog your time. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for their wonderful insights--

It was good to look back at all your comments in light of the fact that iI've recently started dating another med student (but not a classmate...don't worry!!!). we're just seeing how things are going, but so far we like our dynamic very much--i think being understandign of each other's responsibilities as med students is a very big plus--you're right, i couldn't imagine how tough it'd be to be with someone who wasn't as busy AND not very understanding of how busy I am.

thanks folks!!

X

StudentX said:
Thanks everyone for their wonderful insights--

It was good to look back at all your comments in light of the fact that iI've recently started dating another med student (but not a classmate...don't worry!!!). we're just seeing how things are going, but so far we like our dynamic very much--i think being understandign of each other's responsibilities as med students is a very big plus--you're right, i couldn't imagine how tough it'd be to be with someone who wasn't as busy AND not very understanding of how busy I am.

thanks folks!!

X

Best of luck :luck: