Single, Double, & Triple Bond ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bond length:

Single>Double> Triple Bond? I always under the impression that single bonds were the shortests and strongest. However, in the EK 1001 Gen Chem book it says the single bonds are the longest.

Members don't see this ad.

USArmyDoc said:
Bond length:

Single>Double> Triple Bond? I always under the impression that single bonds were the shortests and strongest. However, in the EK 1001 Gen Chem book it says the single bonds are the longest.

i think double bonds are the strongest, im not 100% sure tho

A gen chem book should have the answer....

I got confused. I am pretty sure triple bonds are the strongest then double then single. If you think about it, a triple bond has one sigma and two pi bonds. Double has one of each and a single just has a sigma. Its the opposite though for stability. Single bonds are the most stable.

USArmyDoc said:
Bond length:

In terms of strength,
triple>double>single

In terms of bond length,
single>double>triple

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Chandy,
You are the best. I eventually understood it. I was getting confused between stability, strength and length. No biggie. ;)

A single bond consists of a sigma electron could (orbital)....which in itself is the strongest type of bonding. But, when you create a double you are adding a pi orbital (which is weaker than sigma orbital), since the pi orbital is being added to an existing sigma orbital it logically follows that it will be a stronger one (pi and sigma > sigma), the effect of the pi orbital will be strengthening the overall bond (double bond) but also shortening the distance between the atoms,which means shorter bond. Triple bond on the other hand adds another pi orbital to the existing sigma and pi orbitals making the triple bond stronger than the previous two and also shorter.

Also note, that a double bond is not twice as strong as a single bond since we are not adding an additional sigma orbital, but a pi orbital (which is weaker), same logic extends to a triple bond.

Hope that helps.

I just wanted to add that:

You can only compare bond strength & bond length in relation to bond order for similar bonds only (e.g C-0, C=O, C triple bond to O)

In terms of stability of the bonds, how is the order?

single>double>triple

For length,
single>double>triple

For strenght:
triple>double>single

I alwasy thought that since the triple bond is the strongest it must be the most stable since it is harder to break the triple bond. I am not sure. Any help is appreciated!

I would think stability would be the same as strength. More bonds equal less movement around the central atom? also since triple is the shortest and has more charges interacting, they should have the most stability.

I might be wrong....can anyone confirm?

In the EK 1001 Organic chemistry book, they say the sigma bond is the most stable. They are the last to break in a reaction.

You're correct Brett.

Sigma is stronger than pi, but since triple bonds contain two pi and a sigma bond they are the strongest/shortest/most stable

Oh, I got ya. I was thinking individual bonds (e.g sigma, pi bonds alone). Yes, it would make sense that a triple bond would be most stable and when that triple bond is being broken to sigma bonds not the two pi bonds are broken last. I hope that makes sense.

USArmyDoc said:
Oh, I got ya. I was thinking individual bonds (e.g sigma, pi bonds alone). Yes, it would make sense that a triple bond would be most stable and when that triple bond is being broken to sigma bonds not the two pi bonds are broken last. I hope that makes sense.

Gen chem brings back good memories. indeed Trip>doub> single.