single mother of five

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poet106

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. I am a single mother of five where two of my children have epilepsy. It has taken me more years than usual just to complete most of the required pre-med courses. My grades are not the best but they are definetly not the worse. recently, I applied to a caribean medical school who boast of a program which took students, such as myself and offered them an extended program in which to take and pass the required pre-med courses. just this past Saturday, upon going to one of their semenars, I was told that the school no longer offered this course, however, a friend of mine just entered the same program in May. A school mug was thrust in my hand, my application left on a table by the garbage and i was hastily told good-bye by the cheery faced personell of the school. I left very discouraged, hurt, felt cheapened and disappointed. upon searching the web, i have not found another school which offers the same type of program, basically a pre-basic science course, anywhere. I read about Masters vs post bacc... I have no more money left for school and most of my loans ran out... does anyone have any suggestions as what my next course of action could be or even know of a good program that offers these courses with placement into a med school. the only courses i need are organic and inorganic chemistry, physics and calculus. I have taken all the required biology courses.

Is there anyone out there in a similar situation as I am.... I am very discouraged and need some positive advice.

Members don't see this ad.

poet106 said:
I need some advice. I am a single mother of five where two of my children have epilepsy. It has taken me more years than usual just to complete most of the required pre-med courses... Is there anyone out there in a similar situation as I am.... I am very discouraged and need some positive advice.

Hi Poet:
I'm not in the same situation as you are, but I thought I give you this information. I found the following websites for institutions that offer online classes (for the classes you need):

http://distance.une.edu/ - Univ. of New England
http://web.austin.utexas.edu/wlh/index.cfm - Univ. of Texas at Austin
http://learn.berkeley.edu/ - UC Berkley Extension

I admire you for pursuing your dream of becoming a physician. It looks as if you have your hands full with your children. I had one child with a seizure disorder and that was tough. You may also want to try posting on http://www.oldpremeds.org, a website dedicated to the non-traditional premed and med student to see what others may have to offer you by way of advice/suggestions.

I don't know what to say about the Caribbean school. Have you thought about re-applying? Perhaps they need to feel your persistence towards reaching your goal.

Good luck to you in your endeavor! Hang in there!

poet106 said:
I need some advice. I am a single mother of five where two of my children have epilepsy. It has taken me more years than usual just to complete most of the required pre-med courses. My grades are not the best but they are definetly not the worse. recently, I applied to a caribean medical school who boast of a program which took students, such as myself and offered them an extended program in which to take and pass the required pre-med courses. just this past Saturday, upon going to one of their semenars, I was told that the school no longer offered this course, however, a friend of mine just entered the same program in May. A school mug was thrust in my hand, my application left on a table by the garbage and i was hastily told good-bye by the cheery faced personell of the school. I left very discouraged, hurt, felt cheapened and disappointed. upon searching the web, i have not found another school which offers the same type of program, basically a pre-basic science course, anywhere. I read about Masters vs post bacc... I have no more money left for school and most of my loans ran out... does anyone have any suggestions as what my next course of action could be or even know of a good program that offers these courses with placement into a med school. the only courses i need are organic and inorganic chemistry, physics and calculus. I have taken all the required biology courses.

Is there anyone out there in a similar situation as I am.... I am very discouraged and need some positive advice.
Which classes have you taken? The prereqs for medical school are

1 year of biology
1 year of chemistry
1 year of organic chemistry
1 year of physics
and calc

Do you already have your bachelors degree? You can always do your prereqs at community college and work during the day so you can pay for them.

There are programs where you can complete the prereqs in the United States but none that "guarantee" admission and are usually expensive. It might be a long road ahead of you but you can find the support and resources to help you here and as the above poster mentioned on the other forum Oldpremed.org/fusionbb

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered looking at post-bacc programs that lead directly to admission to medical school? For example, Drexel has several programs that may be a good fit for you:

http://www.drexelmed.edu/med/ims/

There might be other programs (the key issue will be finding one where you can also find childcare). I cannot imagine being in your position and admire your desire to pursue your dreams. You should definitely try to apply for DPMS at Drexel. Especially if it keeps you here in the US and would be less of a disruption for your children.

~GraC

I just want to add that DPMS is an early assurance program that DOES guarantee admission to the medical school. Here are more details from the website:

"The program is designed for students from a lower socioeconomic/disadvantaged background. Prerequisites for the program are one year of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry and physics, (each with laboratory), and one year of English literature and behavioral science (psychology, sociology and philosophy) courses. In addition, a 2.90 undergraduate math/science GPA and a minimum MCAT score of 20 with no section below a 6 is also required. An applicant who meets these requirements may be considered for an interview with the College of Medicine. Applicants may then be granted provisional acceptance into the College of Medicine and be accepted into this Early Assurance Program."

~GraC

poet106 said:

With all due respect, what kind of life would it be for your kids to pick them up and go off to the caribean? Are you planning on taking them?? Are there decent schools for them to attend, so that their own futures may be assured?

Also, you say you're out of cash. How will you provide for your children, as a single mother of five? Is the father around to help? Am I missing something here?

I know those are some personal questions, but it's very hard to provide advice (sound advice), and especially the positive feedback you're looking for, without such knowledge.

poet106 said:

Have you ever considered another route in health care that would make use of the prerequisites you've taken thus far? Would you be at all interested in becoming a physician's assistant, nurse, or a dental hygenist? These professions require less schooling, the responsibility and privilege of working with patients, combined with decent compensation. I honestly don't know how someone can juggle 5 children and medical school. It sounds like an unrealistic goal for someone in your position.

I agree w/Natalia - to a certain extent. Her suggestion of moving along a different path will allow you to experience patient care, etc. - especially as a P.A. The path to become a PA takes 2 years if you already have a BS degree. It will provide you the opportunity to make a good wage, while allowing you time to take care of your children. I had considered it, but things have changed for me and I am now moving towards become a doctor. I have a good friend who attended PA school and he loves it! He works in Internal Medicine at a teaching hospital in my area.

The only thing I disagree with Natalia about is your goal. The goal isn't necessarily unrealistic, it just may not be the best time for you to go after it right now. You can consider pursuing medicine after becoming a PA, a nurse (which is very well funded these days by hospitals; i.e., they'll pay for your schooling...), etc.

Don't give up the dream, don't be discouraged! Just move things around, make a few changes, develop a game plan and go for it!

With due respect to everyone who has posted, I would advise the OP to make up her own mind about her passion. If she is passionate about becoming a physician and is willing to make sacrifices (and set up a good life for her children at the same time) then: follow the heart (trite but true). OP: Research post-bac programs and settle on a rhythm that works for you and your family. Do you have parents who can help with childcare? What will you do to feed and clothe your children while you are in school? Do you already have enough assets for a post-bac or will you need to work for a few years to build a safety net? Do what works for you and your family (I can't stress this enough!).

~GraC

poet106 said:

Your tale sounds like a Greek tragedy. I would honestly say I dont think medicine is best plan for someone in your situation. You dont have a kid to worry about, you have an entire basketball team and it sounds like they really need you. I would suggest sticking very very close to family support, looking at other employment options that might let you work close from home. If you have $ issues even before med school, then this whole caribean nonsense will send you over the deep end and remember students loans cannot be placed into bankruptcy! You are treading in very very dangerous waters, I would reassess, just because you want to be a doctor doesnt mean you SHOULD be one. Be smart about it and dont bite off more than you can chew. If you dig a big enough financial and emotional ditch, you might never come back from it. Ive witnessed or did autopsies on at least 4 physician suicides, its not pretty. You need serious Non-BS advice and Im giving it you: There is almost no way you have the financial and emotional stamina for a career in medicine. Given you are even entertaining caribbean med schools means you likely lack the academic qualifications to ride in the roughest pack. Yes, if you were 22 years old, single, you **might** be able to turn it around and make a good run at it, but I think you are setting yourself up for a heartbreaking disaster. Seriously, think again, think again.

GraC_undr_PrsR said:
With due respect to everyone who has posted, I would advise the OP to make up her own mind about her passion. If she is passionate about becoming a physician and is willing to make sacrifices (and set up a good life for her children at the same time) then: follow the heart (trite but true). OP: Research post-bac programs and settle on a rhythm that works for you and your family. Do you have parents who can help with childcare? What will you do to feed and clothe your children while you are in school? Do you already have enough assets for a post-bac or will you need to work for a few years to build a safety net? Do what works for you and your family (I can't stress this enough!).

~GraC

Fantastic...Hello? Follow your heart? Are you serious?? Suicide bombers follow their heart! What the hell advice is that.

Dont follow your heart FFS, follow common sense. How old are you with 5 kids? 35+? This is insanity, seriously. The OP's mere single post screams of being a "non-hacker", let alone when **** will eventually hit the fan, nothing will get easier, it all gets harder!

GraC_undr_PrsR said:
With due respect to everyone who has posted, I would advise the OP to make up her own mind about her passion. If she is passionate about becoming a physician and is willing to make sacrifices (and set up a good life for her children at the same time) then: follow the heart (trite but true).~GraC

Let's hear it for being positive!!! There's a resident at a top notch southern school that went through med school with 4 kids (it took her 6 years to finish) as a SINGLE MOM with a TON of debt. So it CAN be done with the right support in place and that includes financial, emotional, and childcare.

However, as a Mom with a family, I'd strongly encourage anyone with more than one child to wait until all the kids are in grade school at the very least. Not that it becomes easier to parent then, but the children are much more self-reliant (if you raised them right! ;) ).

Another thing I'd seriously consider is going to premed/med school in the town the children's father lives in. Why should Moms ALWAYS have to sacrifice?

Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
LADoc00 said:
Fantastic...Hello? Follow your heart? Are you serious ... What the hell advice is that.

I'm a softy for people who actually love what they do, love the pursuit of a dream and then (consequently): are happy people. There are too many disillusioned and negative people out there. I come from inauspicious beginnings myself and despite my h.s. guidance counselor telling me to forget college and join the workforce, I've graduated from a good private college and will never again consider other's limits on what I can accomplish. Thus: I'm an optimist. Seriously.

~GraC :D

LAdoc00, you yourself went to the school of medicine in iraq. I would think twice before knocking on carribean medical school and the people within them. While school of medicine in iraq, i cannot say, is bad in anyway shape or form, it doesnt give you a right to bash on carib medschools if they are supposedly recognized by the american health care system.

Poet, being a single of five will probably be your achilles heel if you were to get into medicine. In addition, you sound like you are financially unstable, and on the verge of bankruptcy. If you have some monetary support, somoene to help you take care of the kids, you might be able to pull it off if you head into a special masters program then go off to medical school. Osteopathic medicine might be an option as well. But ONLY pursue this outlet if your kids are in the best care possible. The previous poster stands as testament that it could be done. As most nontrad folks applying into medicine with kids will tell you, or at least in my experienc with them on these boards, they are financially stable enough, and stable enough period, to go into medicine now. Either their kids are old enough to be self sufficient, or have their family help raise them. You have five children, and single. You are in debt. And you havn't earned top marks in your classes so far. How have your MCAts been? Would anotehr 10 years be worth it of med school, residency, etc. etc.

you may want to consult a user on this board named LizzyM, she is an adcom member and might be more insightful than I am. From the sounds of it though, unless you find a way to fulfill the prereqs of stability when entering into the long career of medicine (financial stability, support, etc), you might want to reconsider alternative options. Being a PA for example is just as valid as being a doctor. You make a decent earning too, because they are in high demand. They earn nearly 6 figures or high 5 figure salries after a few years, and only requires two years of education.

1Path said:
Let's hear it for being positive!!! There's a resident at a top notch southern school that went through med school with 4 kids (it took her 6 years to finish) as a SINGLE MOM with a TON of debt. So it CAN be done with the right support in place and that includes financial, emotional, and childcare.

However, as a Mom with a family, I'd strongly encourage anyone with more than one child to wait until all the kids are in grade school at the very least. Not that it becomes easier to parent then, but the children are much more self-reliant (if you raised them right! ;) ).

Another thing I'd seriously consider is going to premed/med school in the town the children's father lives in. Why should Moms ALWAYS have to sacrifice?

Good luck!!!
That's exactly what I am doing, right now. I have three younguns. I work, I go to school, and I help them with their homework. Well, not right now. It's summer. :) It's a time and money struggle, but it can be done. I definitely recommend having family or a network of friends you can call when stuff happens (like a kid needing to go home). I'd take it slow and keep your options open. I know it feels like you need to hurry up and do something now, but keep your options open.

GraC_undr_PrsR said:
With due respect to everyone who has posted, I would advise the OP to make up her own mind about her passion. If she is passionate about becoming a physician and is willing to make sacrifices (and set up a good life for her children at the same time) then: follow the heart (trite but true).

Okay, but how exactly does a single mom with no money "set up a good life for her children" while embarking on the most demanding -- physically, emotionally, financially, timewise -- career path out there?

Your responsibility is to your kids, not your heart.

:laugh:
Andre04 said:
Okay, but how exactly does a single mom with no money "set up a good life for her children" while embarking on the most demanding -- physically, emotionally, financially, timewise -- career path out there?

Your responsibility is to your kids, not your heart.

I heard the Unabomber followed his heart, so its not impossible....just insane. :laugh:

poet106 said:

I'm going to weigh in with the realists on this thread. You have 5 kids, two with special needs. You have financial issues with respect to money for school and already have heavy loans, apparently. While I don't mean to discourage you, have you really thought through the game plan? Do you have a spouse or other family members who can act as primary caregivers for the next 8 or so years while you embark on this endeavor? Do you have the means to support your family and pay for med school? Do you realize how hour intensive medical school and training is going to be, and is your family ready for this extreme sharing of your time? If you have worked out the details of all these questions, then good luck -- find a local school or postbac program you can afford that lets you take these courses and push on. If not, think long and hard about how you are really going to swing this.

LADoc00 said:
Your tale sounds like a Greek tragedy. I would honestly say I dont think medicine is best plan for someone in your situation. You dont have a kid to worry about, you have an entire basketball team and it sounds like they really need you. I would suggest sticking very very close to family support, looking at other employment options that might let you work close from home. If you have $ issues even before med school, then this whole caribean nonsense will send you over the deep end and remember students loans cannot be placed into bankruptcy! You are treading in very very dangerous waters, I would reassess, just because you want to be a doctor doesnt mean you SHOULD be one. Be smart about it and dont bite off more than you can chew. If you dig a big enough financial and emotional ditch, you might never come back from it. Ive witnessed or did autopsies on at least 4 physician suicides, its not pretty. You need serious Non-BS advice and Im giving it you: There is almost no way you have the financial and emotional stamina for a career in medicine. Given you are even entertaining caribbean med schools means you likely lack the academic qualifications to ride in the roughest pack. Yes, if you were 22 years old, single, you **might** be able to turn it around and make a good run at it, but I think you are setting yourself up for a heartbreaking disaster. Seriously, think again, think again.
I appreciate what hes saying. Im 29 a single 0 kidz. I see the mountain ahead and even if i climb it will they open the door? theyve got tons of applicants most fresh out of high school. Its very tough. Make the most out of your classes. you are lucky you have 5children.make the most out of your time. I dont know I guess i understand what hes saying. I do know many parents who want to be doctors my cousin wants to. It was his dream he has 3 children. Its not impossible, it would be a challenge.

poet106 said:

Hi ya,

I would work for awhile and save money then take your courses when you have time and the money. I don't know how bad your GPA is but I would just focus on rocking the MCAT- 28 and above. You also might benefit if you can have some family support for taking care of your kids. I'm sure you have siblings or parents. I understand that their father disappeared? Anyways, take your time to do well in your classes when you can pay for them. You should go to your local state college and take classes there. I don't know what your reasons for trying to attend a carribean med school but try to do well enough to go to a U.S. school. It's hard to return to the U.S. as a foreign grad. I know of someone who graduated from a caribbean school failed all of his Steps and has not been able to do anything with his degree.
Also, focus on your overall application and do alot of ECs and get outstanding LORs . Plan your schedule according what you can do. Your situation seems dire but I have heard of worse stories than yours.

dulce

Hey hey hey!

I'm one of 4 but my dad is one of 12. A lot of people assumed my grandfather was some sort of illiterate farmer or something (not that farmers these days dont' have to be totally smart).

My grandfather was a judge....most of his 12 kids...most!...went to graduate school...many law school like him.

5 kids is great...and I've worked 2 jobs most of my life and have to say that medical school isn't as hard as going to grad school AND working AND repairing my house.

Don't underestimate you abilities or options.

My guess is you need to be able to complete these courses where you are perhaps so family can help with childcare etc. So look around in your area.

You can take out loans for graduate school and I would recommend you contact your local university and community colleges about financial options.

These are the people you should talk to.

If you could take at least half of your prereqs this year...and start taking the other half next year...you can start applying next summer at the earliest.

Go talk to the community college or local public (cheaper) university about your options...the financial aide department is usually more helpful than people might expect.

Good luck to you and congraduations on your kids.

I'm hoping to have a half dozen...probably mixed with adoption etc...and after med school.

Just my opinion,

PhDtoDO

I have to come back and just say dont lose sight of your goals. If its what you want and you can handle full time. Make sure you get lots of help from the college your attending. Free tutors, find a good affordable sitter (maybe family) and you can work it out. I think la doc was being a bit harsh but people can be like that. It is his way of viewing your situation. We all have situations though, thats life. Keep your head up, I know I am! :)
poet106 said:

She has no money left for school, 5 kids 2 of which have a lifelong medical condition (which makes me wonder if your family has the gene for something like Lafora's disease) and she has yet to take the 4 most difficult premed courses. Basically she is starting at stratch from my viewpoint.

LADoc00 said:
She has no money left for school, 5 kids 2 of which have a lifelong medical condition (which makes me wonder if your family has the gene for something like Lafora's disease) and she has yet to take the 4 most difficult premed courses. Basically she is starting at stratch from my viewpoint.
Poet106 said:
the only courses i need are organic and inorganic chemistry, physics and calculus. I have taken all the required biology courses.

At a cc, you can take one class at a time when you can afford it. That's what I did until all my kids were school aged. I didn't have any debt until I started full time this past fall semester.
At my cc, they offered gen chem, org chem I and II, physics I and II, and calculus taught by the same instructors as its big sister U. The cost was a third less. They also offered gen chem I, and physics I and II, online. I transferred before I had o chem I & II and Physics II done. I took the organic chemistries at the big U and plan to take Physics II back at the cc after I graduate, since Physics II isn't required for my major.
It can be done. Talk to an academic advisor and a financial aid advisor to feel out your options. It may be a slow road, but you don't have that many classes to go.

Truth74 said:
At a cc, you can take one class at a time when you can afford it. That's what I did until all my kids were school aged. I didn't have any debt until I started full time this past fall semester.
At my cc, they offered gen chem, org chem I and II, physics I and II, and calculus taught by the same instructors as its big sister U. The cost was a third less. They also offered gen chem I, and physics I and II, online. I transferred before I had o chem I & II and Physics II done. I took the organic chemistries at the big U and plan to take Physics II back at the cc after I graduate, since Physics II isn't required for my major.
It can be done. Talk to an academic advisor and a financial aid advisor to feel out your options. It may be a slow road, but you don't have that many classes to go.
Heres the problem though,yes you can take one class at a time BUT hows that going to look on your transcripts? I called and asked someone about taking your classes slow at a cc and they said thats fine but you realize if you attend the university, its at least 19 credits per semester and they arent easy classes. Learn to juggle - any tips would be helpful. Why tuff out med school with a family load as well?You might lose it mentally with all that stress. There are so many other career options that are less stressfull school (but still tuff) and pay great. Dental hygiene at $60,000 a year or PA also good pay and RNs are great pay, PTs and many others. Also all these careers ive mentioned are just as competitive as med school. :idea:

Law2Doc said:
LOL. You might not have that many classes to go to get to the base of the mountain, but you still have the mountain.

I did this in the reverse, so I don't have the problem of looking at this situation as a mountain. I consider every situation as one step at a time.
I did a few classes at a time, and then transferred to 20 credit hours a semester. She was talking about an overseas school. They have other standards at those schools that may not require the rigor that you require. I'm not sure about some schools, but Ross (in St. Kitts) and St. Georges (in Grenada) both have schools available for children.

prepharmacys said:
Heres the problem though,yes you can take one class at a time BUT hows that going to look on your transcripts? I called and asked someone about taking your classes slow at a cc and they said thats fine but you realize if you attend the university, its at least 19 credits per semester and they arent easy classes. Learn to juggle - any tips would be helpful. Why tuff out med school with a family load as well?You might lose it mentally with all that stress. There are so many other career options that are less stressfull school (but still tuff) and pay great. Dental hygiene at $60,000 a year or PA also good pay and RNs are great pay, PTs and many others. Also all these careers ive mentioned are just as competitive as med school. :idea:
Again, I was giving options for someone that was asking for them. I don't have much of an opinion on those career options that you were recommending, because I am not on the human medicine track, though I take everything you guys take :) .
As I said in my second to last sentence:
Truth74 said:
Talk to an academic advisor and a financial aid advisor to feel out your options.
She might just have some finacial aid available that she doesn't know about. There is also the hardship deferral for the loans that she has now. If she had the money, through financial aid, or working, I would still recommend the cc/online route, because of the lower cost. She could then take a full load but still be available during the day for....oh I don't know....work, kids, whatever. If she is taking a full load, she might even check with her state to see if there is a child care voucher or subsidy that she would qualify for. They do that in my state for people going full-time to college(2 & 4 year, not to mention grad and professional programs as well[I don't know about vocational, but they're probably covered, also.]).
I keep "stressing" the whole keep your options open idea.

PS. Stress. When you have kids, you have an entirely different idea of what stress is. We don't know what her stress threshold is. It has to be pretty high to have five kids. Maybe, she'll think that class is a vacation.

Dear Poet,
I admire your courage to pursue your dream despite all the difficulties. Nothing is impossible in this world, you just need the right guidance and support. Follow your heart, but take it slow.

poet106 said:

I'm sorry, but if you are a single parent with 5 children (two of which have epilepsy) and are considering med school -how do you plan on taking care of these children? Med school is not a walk in the park. I can't imagine how any med student would have enough time to see that their 5 children's basic needs are met while going to school. Not to mention how to pay for all of it. Something sounds fishy?