Single vs Double Boarding in Heme/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Corday

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This topic hasn't really been discussed recently so curious what people's experiences have been.

For someone interested in academia, I can see single boarding not being a problem at all. But what if you end up going into private practice? Would single boarding in onc hurt your chances of getting a job?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This topic hasn't really been discussed recently so curious what people's experiences have been.

For someone interested in academia, I can see single boarding not being a problem at all. But what if you end up going into private practice? Would single boarding in onc hurt your chances of getting a job?

Double board will help in getting better starting salary in PP, and will help in job hunt to find job in desired location in PP. In group practice double board will help in covering all group partners for heme and onc consults. In academics in community Cancer center double board will help also. You dont need double board for academic job in good University/Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely must to have double boarded
if u r thinking private practice in any metropolitan area.
My group would not even consider applicant if only single boarded
as there r so many qualified applicants who are double boarded.

Absolutely must to have double boarded
if u r thinking private practice in any metropolitan area.
My group would not even consider applicant if only single boarded
as there r so many qualified applicants who are double boarded.

Would you consider sharing your experience at your PP (work hrs, calls, reimbursements, and especially changes your group made to cope with reimbursement changes....and how those changes working....etc etc...

In terms of reimbursement, many medical oncology groups are teaming up with radiation oncologists to create joint ventures. The money now lies in the technical radiation fees as chemo profits have dissipated. Even urology groups have joined in the fray. Google 'urorad'. The NYT has some good articles from the past.

These joint ventures can be sketchy- not sure if many of these will pass Stark 2 rules so be diligent when looking for job. Probably a lot of money passing under the table for these rad facilities to get patients from referring docs. Only way this is legal if all specialties are under one employer, such as academic center, big community hospital, or multispecialty group.

Kind of depressing when I see second opinion prostate cancer patients trying to decide on radiation vs RP in early stage tumors, especially the younger guys. I know of a solo practice urologist who never operates, but instead advocates IMRT on every patient. And oh by the way, who so happens to own a share of the radiation center next door to his office.

These fly-by-night entrepreneurs developing stand-alone radiation centers now becoming more prevalent all across our nation are troubling. Saw a 85yo patient in the hospital recently with advanced dementia, COPD, and CHF, who was diagnosed with squamous cell lung cancer with brain, liver, and bone metastasis. PS of 2-3. I recommended hospice as well as the rad onc employed by the hospital. But the pulmonologist (probably a shareholder)wanted a second opinion and referred the patient to an outside rad onc,who ended up recommending gamma knife along with WBXRT. And they also wanted to radiate the lung and femur. For a total of 4 weeks! This unfortunate man was not competent to make any decisions, and did not even remember his own name. Fortunately, the family cancelled the radiation after a few treatments and decided on hospice. But how much did they bill medicare in a span of a week- probably 20-30K? Such is life in community oncology.