sinus lift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontwakeme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard the new things these days in dentistry are sinus lift procedures. A couple of dentists I've talked to are planning on taking courses to learn these procedures. How prominent do you think procedures like this will be in the future? Moreover, do you believe that dentists will soon be performing many of these plastic surgery-type procedures?

Members don't see this ad.

Dentists have been doing sinus lifts for a long time. Periodontists and oral surgeons do them all the time to make room for maxillary implant placement. I'm not sure what you mean by calling it "plastic surgery". It's not done for cosmetic purposes.

I've heard the new things these days in dentistry are sinus lift procedures. A couple of dentists I've talked to are planning on taking courses to learn these procedures. How prominent do you think procedures like this will be in the future? Moreover, do you believe that dentists will soon be performing many of these plastic surgery-type procedures?

From what I understand about sinus lifts, they are not particularly fun for patients. A GP would be a fool, in my opinion, to do these in practice.

This is a perfect example of the type of procedure you refer to your OMFS. Patients expect to hurt after they see a surgeon. They don't want to hurt after going to the 'dentist'.

Or you could add an extra step and first send it to your Periodontist. Then a couple of months later you could finally refer it to your OMFS to actually fix the original problem + whatever the periodontist did to them.:)

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many times now when the conventional sinus lift procedure is not required. Many "Implant guys" OMS, GP, Perio are starting to place implants in the upper molar region by doing the osteotomy and doing a "punch" into the sinus and bone grafting and placing the implant. I don't place implants and never will. But from my understanding if you keep the sinus membrane intact these have a very good prognosis. I agree again with Jaybe these should probably be done by omfs with the exception of some highly trained Gps. and perios.

There are many times now when the conventional sinus lift procedure is not required. Many "Implant guys" OMS, GP, Perio are starting to place implants in the upper molar region by doing the osteotomy and doing a "punch" into the sinus and bone grafting and placing the implant. I don't place implants and never will. But from my understanding if you keep the sinus membrane intact these have a very good prognosis. I agree again with Jaybe these should probably be done by omfs with the exception of some highly trained Gps. and perios.

Tears of the membrane are common. I've read that graft success with a tear depends on the size of the tear and graft material. The type of sinus lift you're talking about is an indirect sinus lift. It's used when you need <3mm of bone augmentation and will have good initial stability of the implant, meaning enough native bone (>4mm).

Tears of the membrane are common. I've read that graft success with a tear depends on the size of the tear and graft material. The type of sinus lift you're talking about is an indirect sinus lift. It's used when you need <3mm of bone augmentation and will have good initial stability of the implant, meaning enough native bone (>4mm).

Awesome. Isn't it amazing how far dentistry has come in the last 30 years.