SIU-SDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HookahLungs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in this school, although I haven't received an acceptance yet. I have had an interview here and at a few other schools, UIC and U of Michigan being the other two. I'm curious if the cheaper tuition is really worth it as Alton is a very boring area. I guess I'll have more closure when December first rolls around and I find out if I even get accepted there. Anyone from SIU that has any knowledge on the school? They didn't tell us much about the schools and the clinics seemed terrible in my opinion, but who cares you're still a dentist at the end. Plus there is a KFC with an open buffet there which I really enjoyed lol

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current D1 at SIU and can offer my opinion. Most of my classmates were accepted to UofI as well as SIU and many made the choice to go to SIU first. The tuition and cost of living is going to save you 10k+ per year. In addition to that many of my classmates have mentioned their choice was determined because UofI changed to PBL and they actually wanted to have teachers teach them instead of teaching themselves. The teachers at SIU are all top notch and the school actually carries a good reputation with anyone who actually knows about it and are graduates/alumni. If you're worried about finding something to do, Alton isn't your typical college town but theres usually something going on between all the dental students. Something most people don't realize when considering SIU is St Louis Is 20 minutes away. I would be interested in knowing what made you think a less than 10 year old clinic and brand new $30 million sim lab were so terrible? I can assure you that you will be getting the best education possible if you're lucky enough to get the opportunity. If you have any more specific questions just let me know.

Plus there is a KFC with an open buffet there which I really enjoyed lol

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on. What? I don't see this on the schools homepage, why is this not being advertised more?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! When I went into th clinics, it seemed like no one was in there besides a few students and a few patients compared to the other clinics I've seen on different tours. The actual clinics and lab looked amazing but what matters is the patient base and it seems to be very small at siu.

How would you compare your experience at d school now to your experience with undergrad?

How are the breaks at siu? For instance, winter break, summer break, spring break? And any other breaks?

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on. What? I don't see this on the schools homepage, why is this not being advertised more?
Yes, I found out when I went to interview there. I think I'd eat there twice a day if I went to siu lol

Thanks for the reply! When I went into th clinics, it seemed like no one was in there besides a few students and a few patients compared to the other clinics I've seen on different tours. The actual clinics and lab looked amazing but what matters is the patient base and it seems to be very small at siu.

How would you compare your experience at d school now to your experience with undergrad?

How are the breaks at siu? For instance, winter break, summer break, spring break? And any other breaks?

I can't seem to be able to figure out why what you described would be a bad thing. Most schools people would complain about all the D3s and D4s being in clinic with no open chairs. If there is more than ample chairs that is really a good thing for you. As far as the patient base I can promise you that Alton has no shortage of patients, so if you're responsible with scheduling your patients in the clinic you will be pretty safe graduating on time without a problem.

I went to SIUe for undergrad which was about the same difficulty but about 1/3 the coursework. Count of about 2/3 tests a week with some quizzes and lab work interspersed. It definitely is more of a commitment but you're all in it together once it starts. All the classes tend to be very good at sharing information for tests which will help a lot once everything starts up in the fall.

The breaks are fairly few and far between, I think we had Columbus day off and our next week off is thanksgiving and then a week back before a month long Christmas. A week in the spring and then summer after D1 off. Afterr that its pretty much full time til you graduate as far as summers off go.

Ic ic, everything else is telling me to choose this school but I'm worried about patient base and the general Alton area. I'm not very sociable to begin with so who knows maybe this is my calling lol. Thanks a lot man, can you pm me your email address?

Last edited:
I dont think you'll find too many people that regret their decision. Even if you're going to go to a school in a more fun city you have to realize that 90% of your time you're going to be sitting in lecture or studying, I find Alton to be less distracting in that respect. Dental school isn't necessarily the most fun years of your life but when you're done you'll have plenty of time to make up the lost time wherever you decide.

UIC, Michigan, and SIU are all established schools that will provide you with the education necessary to become a competent dentist. Those three schools also fit into the three types of "dental school cities"- a metropolitan area, a college town, and a more rural/smaller population city. I would make a pros/cons list for yourself based on these three cities and schools. I am going to have to respectfully disagree with the poster above, if you are spending 90% (or anywhere near that) of your time on school then you are doing dental school wrong IMO. You are going to be spending at least four years of your life (i'm assuming in your twenties) in the city where your dental school is- if you aren't going to be happy somewhere, that will make dental school even harder. Don't see dental school as a waste of four years "living" and only do school, you can still live a little in dental school too. Obviously finances are very important, but there are other cost-benefits than just school COA. Best of luck.

Last edited: