1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

SIU students!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by erbs8908, Dec 22, 2005.

1. erbs8908

erbs8908 Member
    5+ Year Member

I was just accepted to SIU on Dec. 1st!!! im looking for fellow students who are looking for apts. im planning on buying a house and renting out the rooms for very cheap in alton, IL. let me know your input. thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Superhuntress

Superhuntress Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I live in the big white house right next to the Wadlow statue and the admissions building. There are 2 fourth year students that live upstairs will be graduating, so two great apartments upstairs will be opening up. If anyone is interested, I can hook you up with the landlord because rentals are by referrel and he only rents to dental students.

4. erbs8908

erbs8908 Member
    5+ Year Member

great! could you hook me up with the landlord. pm me.

5. BabberSher

BabberSher an Army of Darkness fan
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Did u guys get interviewed (or just visit SIU)?
    If you visited, did you guys get Dr. Stoeckel by any chance?
    What were u guys' stats?

6. 082004

082004 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am jealous! I was born and raised in Illinois but went to college and moved to Indianapolis. I got into Indiana dental school but am realizing SIU would have been much cheaper in-state than Indiana in-state. Darn! Be thankful you're taking out 1/4 the loans most dental students are around the nation!

7. beredsox2

beredsox2 The Anti Anti-Dentite
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That's true that they will be paying very little, however they are living in southern illinois. Not exactly a place where many want to spend 4 years of their lives.

8. Dr2BSoon

Dr2BSoon Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THE ALTON AREA?! Probably not with that comment. Come on, it is Saint Louis, and Saint Louis is GREAT!

I don't see why anyone would be against living in the Alton area. I am thrilled to live in Alton in fact. If you are a rural person, you never have to enter the city if you don't want to, and if you crave big city life, Saint Louis is only a short commute away. Alton is medium sized town of 35,000 people, and is a suburb of Saint Louis. There is a lot of diversity in both Alton and the surrounding areas. Alton may be a little bit more run down than Edwardsville, but the area the dental students live in is quaint and safe. You are able to combine the small town atmosphere with big city life because Saint Louis is so close (20-30 minutes). The Alton area can satisfy the desire to be the serious student because it is quiet and seemingly rural, and can also satisfy the most social student because there are numerous resturants (any kind of food you could think of), high and low end shopping centers (Galleria mall, Nordstroms, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Tiffany, Sony Style store, Louis Vitton, Coach, Dillards, J Crew...), clubs, bars, museums, etc. The area by the river is beautiful with hiking, jogging, hunting, fishing, boating, cycling, etc. So whether you are a small town guy or a big city type, Alton is perfect!

9. 082004

082004 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I have friends who just graduated from dental school and nurse anesthesia school at SIU. They loved being so close to St. Louis. When I visited them, we always went to St. Louis and enjoyed the restaurants and shopping. Not a bad place to be at all!