BOTH SketchyMicro for Step2CK, thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used SketchyMicro heavily during my Step 1 prep, and it made all the difference when it came to anything ID related. Starting to devise my schedule & plan for Step 2 and I'm wondering if anyone has had a positive experience using Sketchy for Step2, or alternatively, if people found it didn't hit enough clinical points (It is admittedly very basic-sciences oriented but I remember they always had their fair share of clinical pearls.

TL;DR - if I rely on SketchyMicro for Step 2 ID, am I underestimating Step 2 ID? Sketchy took a long time to run through and I'd like to optimize my resources here.

Much thanks,

CubanLink

Members don't see this ad.

I used SketchyMicro heavily during my Step 1 prep, and it made all the difference when it came to anything ID related. Starting to devise my schedule & plan for Step 2 and I'm wondering if anyone has had a positive experience using Sketchy for Step2, or alternatively, if people found it didn't hit enough clinical points (It is admittedly very basic-sciences oriented but I remember they always had their fair share of clinical pearls.

TL;DR - if I rely on SketchyMicro for Step 2 ID, am I underestimating Step 2 ID? Sketchy took a long time to run through and I'd like to optimize my resources here.

Much thanks,

CubanLink
I would say absolutely not. I completely understand why so many people love sketchy micro for step one, but for step two I don’t think it’s worth the squeeze.

Step two is not going to ask you about whether or not something is a single or double stranded DNA or RNA virus. It’s going to ask you how to treat it.

I took step two this past year. I used absolutely nothing but UW and OME, but I invested a lot of time in those resources. I’m not the strongest student, but I improved from <220 step 1 to >240 step 2.

I don’t think sketchy micro is really appropriate use of time for step two.

I basically used spot-dosing of Sketchy micro in conjunction with UWorld and thought it was quite helpful. There were certain aspects to sketchy micro that were in the video that weren't emphasized on Step I but definitely were on UW for Step II aka disseminated Histo and cutaneous manifestation of blasto. I didn't even realize those bits of info were in there til I rewatched but then it stuck again so it was certainly useful. On the flip side, there will be certain things that UWorld says that are way more specific than what you studied for Step I and sketchy so don't rely on it as having everything you should know for micro.

I would say that if you don't have a subscription, don't bother paying for it again but if you still have it or access to the videos, you can use it to help refresh your memory but really, like the above person said, it comes down to UWorld and making sure you understand your incorrects.