Skills required for anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drboris

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS1 and interested in Gas. I want to find out more about the type of people who go into it and why. For example, I have read many posts where people say they really liked anatomy and considered going into surgery as well. I have also seen posts where people say gas is all about physio and pharm.

I hated anatomy: way too overwhelming. Knowing it is really cool, but I hated dissecting and had no patience. Physio, on the other hand, is a lot more interesting and applicable, so I definitely enjoy it. Also, I don't have natural mechanical aptitude and not a lot of patience, so I don't like complex problem solving and I like knowing what to do right away, without going too deep into the problem.

It seems like Gas fits, but I just wanted to know if anyone else who actually is going into or is already in gas has any input?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I don't have natural mechanical aptitude and not a lot of patience, so I don't like complex problem solving and I like knowing what to do right away, without going too deep into the problem.

2 words: emergency med :D

Yeah... you are totally emergency medicine material. Ever done Physio or Pharm? That stuff is all about knowing all the minutia and details of how each little particle interacts and causes a cascade of effects. And if you don't have patience, try sitting in a detention room in front of a BP monitor for 10 hours a day! I guarantee you won't be happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
drboris,

you're a first year. it is WAY too early for your to decide if you like anything. using preclinical courses to figure out which specialties you like (at this stage of the game) is useless. i would recommend the following...

do as well as you possibly can. i know that sounds stupid, but really, try better than your best. because if you decide to do a competitive specialty later on, you don't want to be limited. even for anesthesiology, if you want to go to a desirable program you'll need strong grades and good boards. AOA and boards are your free interview tickets. i would get involved in some research. at this point, any will do. that's all you can do for now.

also, physio and pharm, for me, are so much more dynamic than anatomy. ye, there's lots to know, but ultimately it's not about the minutia - it's about the synthesis of concepts into models of function. anesthesiologists do not sit in 'detention rooms' for 10 hours a day. i would suggest working with some to find out exactly what they do, it's really the only way. until you do, and even then, please don't make any guarantees.

bottom line - you can't use other people's experience and opinions too much. you will have to try things and see how they fit.

placebo_B12 said:
Yeah... you are totally emergency medicine material. Ever done Physio or Pharm? That stuff is all about knowing all the minutia and details of how each little particle interacts and causes a cascade of effects. And if you don't have patience, try sitting in a detention room in front of a BP monitor for 10 hours a day! I guarantee you won't be happy.

Jeff05 said:
drboris,

you're a first year. it is WAY too early for your to decide if you like anything. using preclinical courses to figure out which specialties you like (at this stage of the game) is useless. i would recommend the following...

do as well as you possibly can. i know that sounds stupid, but really, try better than your best. because if you decide to do a competitive specialty later on, you don't want to be limited. even for anesthesiology, if you want to go to a desirable program you'll need strong grades and good boards. AOA and boards are your free interview tickets. i would get involved in some research. at this point, any will do. that's all you can do for now.

also, physio and pharm, for me, are so much more dynamic than anatomy. ye, there's lots to know, but ultimately it's not about the minutia - it's about the synthesis of concepts into models of function. anesthesiologists do not sit in 'detention rooms' for 10 hours a day. i would suggest working with some to find out exactly what they do, it's really the only way. until you do, and even then, please don't make any guarantees.

bottom line - you can't use other people's experience and opinions too much. you will have to try things and see how they fit.

All very true... but not having patience will definitely be a problem.