Skining it! Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMED

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just found SDN and finding this group was even better...here am I thinking that Im the only one who is jumping from non-traditional medical workbase, how people is going to look judge but I have strong mentality and this is what I want to do...Now, I really need some advice. My story is that I first began as a Hotel Spa Manager, then I wanted to know more so I went into Esthetics and I was so amazed by the Skin and its functions and just the entire organ and how it affects everything in the body, so I went to do more medical esthetics (laser, microdermabrasion, etc) Now am at a piont come what may dead bodies, hard work, cancer researches I'm thereeee...I want to be more than a RN, I want to a be a DERMATOLOGIST. Wrapping up, the thing is that I only have some credits from my Asssociates in International Hospitality Management, am fully focus and would like to know what to do...should I just restart my undergrad in Pre-Med/Bio/...? HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

I've just found SDN and finding this group was even better...here am I thinking that Im the only one who is jumping from non-traditional medical workbase, how people is going to look judge but I have strong mentality and this is what I want to do...Now, I really need some advice. My story is that I first began as a Hotel Spa Manager, then I wanted to know more so I went into Esthetics and I was so amazed by the Skin and its functions and just the entire organ and how it affects everything in the body, so I went to do more medical esthetics (laser, microdermabrasion, etc) Now am at a piont come what may dead bodies, hard work, cancer researches I'm thereeee...I want to be more than a RN, I want to a be a DERMATOLOGIST. Wrapping up, the thing is that I only have some credits from my Asssociates in International Hospitality Management, am fully focus and would like to know what to do...should I just restart my undergrad in Pre-Med/Bio/...? HELP!

Yep. Good luck.

Thank u so much illegallysmooth...so should i stick to Bio or do u recommend pre-med?

Members don't see this ad :)

Check with your local 4 year college and see if they have a pre-medical curriculum or any intro to physics, bio, and chemistry classes. You want to start off with those classes if you don't already have a college degree. Basically, you have to take pre-medical classes first and then take the MCAT, and then applying through the AAMC website before you can get into a medical school. It might take anywhere from 2-3 years before you have all of your pre-requisite classes under your belt so that you can apply to a medical school. Before you do anything, I would try to get in touch with a local 4 year college and see if they have any sort of premedical course track since you'll need a bachelor's degree before enrolling in medical school.

Also, not to discourage you, but getting into medical school, graduating from one and completing residency is a long arduous journey. It may be 10 more years before you can actually work as a practicing physician and you might chance your career plans long before you graduate from medical school.

You need 90+ credits always and a BA/BS almost always to apply. It doesn't matter what you major in, you just need to take the prerequisite classes: Gen Chem 1/2 + 2 labs, Gen Bio 1/2 + 2 labs, Intro Physics 1/2 + 2 labs, Organic 1/2 + 1 sometimes 2 labs, 6 hours of English.

At any rate, I feel like I should warn you that dermatology is one of if not the most competitive medical specialty at this moment in time, so if you have no interest in other aspects of medicine, I'd give following this track a long hard think.

Are you already an RN?

Even if you're not, you'll be much better off going to a NP program & specializing in dermatology.

FWIW everyone here will just feed into your misconceptions about medical school. It is a difficult pathway and not a great way to live, especially if the only thing you want out of it is dermatology.

Last edited:
Check with your local 4 year college and see if they have a pre-medical curriculum or any intro to physics, bio, and chemistry classes. You want to start off with those classes if you don't already have a college degree. Basically, you have to take pre-medical classes first and then take the MCAT, and then applying through the AAMC website before you can get into a medical school. It might take anywhere from 2-3 years before you have all of your pre-requisite classes under your belt so that you can apply to a medical school. Before you do anything, I would try to get in touch with a local 4 year college and see if they have any sort of premedical course track since you'll need a bachelor's degree before enrolling in medical school.

Also, not to discourage you, but getting into medical school, graduating from one and completing residency is a long arduous journey. It may be 10 more years before you can actually work as a practicing physician and you might chance your career plans long before you graduate from medical school.[/QUOTE

Thank u so much for ur insight, I know its a long journey am only 24yrs so that why I feel now its a better time to strat than later...I have been looking into 4 yr colleges...thank u again!

You need 90+ credits always and a BA/BS almost always to apply. It doesn't matter what you major in, you just need to take the prerequisite classes: Gen Chem 1/2 + 2 labs, Gen Bio 1/2 + 2 labs, Intro Physics 1/2 + 2 labs, Organic 1/2 + 1 sometimes 2 labs, 6 hours of English.

At any rate, I feel like I should warn you that dermatology is one of if not the most competitive medical specialty at this moment in time, so if you have no interest in other aspects of medicine, I'd give following this track a long hard think.

That is something I keep hearing about Derm, but I must tell you its makes wanna drive into this more, I know its takes over a period of time to fully get prepared for what is ahead but I consider myself a tough cookie, Im definitely all about taking it in stages so first stop BS...thank u so much!