Skipping a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajh1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just need an honest opinion on whether this is good reason to skip a class or not.

I am taking calculus with a teacher that I cannot understand. I take notes in lecture, try to work problems out his way and still have difficulty with tests and quizzes. (this isn't just me, the class average is in the 50's). I missed class on accident a few days ago and worked through the lesson and did better on the quiz and understood what I was doing.

I spend the same amount of time by myself studying as I do in class but I always understand the lecture when I study alone.

P.S. Never skipped a class in my life. But I would if it means understanding the subject and having a better grade. I just want to make sure that I am not over-reacting.

Members don't see this ad.

You already answered the question yourself. If you want to skip the class, then skip the class. Just do whatever you feel would get you a higher grade.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol people cut classes all the time. They still get into medical school. They cut classes IN medical school and still graduate. God isn't mad at you. If they don't take roll and you can make the grades you need, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just need an honest opinion on whether this is good reason to skip a class or not.

I am taking calculus with a teacher that I cannot understand. I take notes in lecture, try to work problems out his way and still have difficulty with tests and quizzes. (this isn't just me, the class average is in the 50's). I missed class on accident a few days ago and worked through the lesson and did better on the quiz and understood what I was doing.

I spend the same amount of time by myself studying as I do in class but I always understand the lecture when I study alone.

P.S. Never skipped a class in my life. But I would if it means understanding the subject and having a better grade. I just want to make sure that I am not over-reacting.

why do you need a good reason if attendance isn't factored into your grade?
why would you continue to attend?

Reactions: 1 users
I had a stats class a few years ago with a poor teacher, and instead of going to the class from 10-10:50, I went to the library and did stats work for that time. I got way farther and learned way faster. It ended up being an easy A.

I skipped all my lectures for Gen Chem 1 and still got an A. I recommend it if the lecture style doesn't fit with your learning at all.

If going to class and taking notes isn't benefiting you, and attendance isn't part of your grade, use the time in whatever way works best for you. If going to the library to study on your own during that time allows you to understand the material and get a better grade, you should do it.

I'm guessing you're a freshman and by the time you have a few semesters under your belt, you'll be pro in the sport of skipping classes when you can do well on exams regardless. I seldom went to my stats class---A.

My instructor for organic chem is Prof. Khan, and his lectures are conveniently posted online through YouTube.

Needless to say, my o chem teacher isn't that great in my opinion and I get more confused by her going into much greater detail tangents in the lecture. I'm learning it better on my own.