Skipping a Year of Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodySurgeon

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a classmate who finished his USMLE Step I during his first year of medical school and now doing nothing during his 2nd year. He did very well on his boards but our school does not allow him to start 3rd year. I suggested that he apply for transfer (so he can start 3rd year) but since 2nd year has already started, this is not possible. I am curious what his options are at this point. He doesn't attend class and he is almost wasting his time in a limbo between 2nd and 3rd year med school.
 
Doesn't the student have to pass all of their second year classes to move on? I have never heard of anyone skipping a year because they passed the USMLE.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He finished his Step 1 during first year? You can do that? Wow.

Doesn't he have to pass second year classes? I know at my school, promotion into third year requires passing all courses.

He could do research and get some pubs out.
 
... Finish 2nd year and enjoy a relatively stress free year / do research? Can't be that difficult if he self-studied all of 2nd year....
 
I thought your school had to sign off before you took Step 1? Why would a school let you even try to take it early since it could tank their pass/fail rate?

Curious, but I trust BloodySurgeon so I'm sure it actually happened.
 
Consider that most people basically relearn all of med school in 2 months or less for Step 1, and it doesn't seem so terribly difficult. There are also plenty of places with 1.5 and 1-year basic science curricula these days. I'm surprised programs let people do it with a standard 2-year plan, but it makes sense. I'd tell him to get some research if he knows what he wants to do or start cramming for Step 2 CK. Might as well, right?
 
OP when u say he doesnt go to class do you mean he is on an indepedent study curriculum?

I suppose with independent study you could "pass" your first 2 years of classes as fast as you could pass the tests.

He could easily do way more research than the typical med student, maybe even make a little $ and gets some first author publications?
 
if he's savant enough to take his boards in a year i'm sure he'll figure something out...or not.
 
Schools don't let this happen. Does he go to Duke? Their curriculum is 3 years. It's a four year degree, and unlike undergrad, you can't advance or pass out. The preclinical curriculum isn't just a means to pass Step 1; US Allo schools require their students to pass all courses to officially graduate. Additionally, not attending these courses would be forfeiting membership in AOA via any ranking, and (shocker) learning!
 
Last edited:
Yeah something is seriously wrong with this story.

One, US Allo schools have to certify that you have completed the first two years of med school before they let you sign up for the exam. So I really doubt this happened. And two, he still needs to pass all his second year courses to get an MD degree.

Either the OP is lying to us or the friend lied to the OP.
 
Everyone is assuming that he is taking second year classes now. Perhaps OP's friend had already taken the first year classes through a grad program? I know there are some people in my class who had taken all the first year classes except Physiology for their master's degree. If that's the case, he might have enrolled as an M1 but be taking all M2 courses? That makes him passing Step 1 seem even less surprising.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe his friend goes to a school that combines two years of MD classes into one (ie Duke) and could then take his Step 1 after year 1.
 
Pre-clinical years aren't just step 1 bootcamp, you take classes, pass said classes, get grades in these classes, and then have a transcript that shows that. Most schools will then give you a class rank and AOA if you do well. Your school also has to certify you for step 1 after you pass the pre-clinical curriculum. Something is wrong with this story
 
Maybe Bloodysurgeon is full of it like the time he told me in chat in a long-winded, neurotic post about how the internet police were going to find and send me to jail for downloading torrents.
 
Just for the record, you can't skip a year of medical school just because you pass step 1. There is either more to this story or it is false, simple as that.

Also, like someone mentioned above no school with LCME accreditation would certify a first year to take step 1.
 
Maybe his friend goes to a school that combines two years of MD classes into one (ie Duke) and could then take his Step 1 after year 1.

Also, like someone mentioned above no school with LCME accreditation would certify a first year to take step 1.

Are you suggesting that Duke is not accredited by the LCME? Because, if true, that would be awesome.
 
Are you suggesting that Duke is not accredited by the LCME? Because, if true, that would be awesome.

I think you have a misunderstanding about how Duke does things. You don't 'skip' any classes, your pre-clinical curriculum is condensed into one year and then your second year is on the wards. They obviously doesn't go to duke, first of all her friend wouldn't be sitting around his second year, she also wouldn't be so unfamiliar with the system
 
I think you have a misunderstanding about how Duke does things. You don't 'skip' any classes, your pre-clinical curriculum is condensed into one year and then your second year is on the wards. They obviously doesn't go to duke, first of all her friend wouldn't be sitting around his second year, she also wouldn't be so unfamiliar with the system

I'm aware of Duke's curriculum.

Explaining this ruins what little humor there was in my post, but here we go:
A: Sheldor said that LCME accredited institutions don't allow first-year students to take step I.
B: Duke allows first-year students to take step I. That the pre-clinical curriculum is jammed into one year is immaterial; they're still first-year students.

Therefore, either Duke is not an LCME accredited institution and not subject to Sheldor's statement, or at least one of our postulates is incorrect. I submit that statement A is - strictly speaking - not 100% true.

It was a tangential effort, done in jest, to point out a factually incorrect statement had been made while simultaneously taking a shot at a rival university. It failed, obviously, so I'll retreat to my TV now. College Gameday is nearly on.
 
I think Sheldor is saying no school with a two year basic science curriculum would certify someone after only one of the years.

I think everyone knows what he/she meant, but that's not what he/she said.

It was a bad attempt at a joke that wouldn't have been that funny even if understood. I'm sorry for even bothering.
 
Full of **** and is a misleading thread and topic for genuine people who are seeking actual advice.

You cannot take Step1 unless certified by school to do so. Once you past step1 and your classroom learning you will go on clinical rotations which usually begins June/July for majority of students.
 
I'm aware of Duke's curriculum.

Explaining this ruins what little humor there was in my post, but here we go:
A: Sheldor said that LCME accredited institutions don't allow first-year students to take step I.
B: Duke allows first-year students to take step I. That the pre-clinical curriculum is jammed into one year is immaterial; they're still first-year students.

Therefore, either Duke is not an LCME accredited institution and not subject to Sheldor's statement, or at least one of our postulates is incorrect. I submit that statement A is - strictly speaking - not 100% true.

It was a tangential effort, done in jest, to point out a factually incorrect statement had been made while simultaneously taking a shot at a rival university. It failed, obviously, so I'll retreat to my TV now. College Gameday is nearly on.

first of all, awesome joke man. second, statement B is actually incorrect, they do a year of wards and take step 1 at the end of second year
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The student I am speaking of took a special masters program before first year of medical school and knew 1st year material before starting school. His now fiance is a year above him, so during his first year of medical school he never showed up to class and just studied second year material with his fiance. Then at the end of the year he got permission from the school to take his boards and he scored above everyone else at our current 3rd year class.

As of last week some classmates got angry that this student never shows up for class and group activities such as epidemiology research projects, quizzes, and small group sessions, so the school is now forcing him to attend these to graduate second year.

He obviously has no problem passing the tests, but I think it is quite a waste since he knows all this stuff already and they don't let him advance to his clinical years.

Some people suggested research, but the problem is there isn't much research around our area.
 
so during his first year of medical school he never showed up to class and just studied second year material with his fiance. Then at the end of the year he got permission from the school to take his boards

I seriously doubt this happened. Come on. He tells his school admin, "I've been studying with my gf, so let me take the board exam" and they do. Mmmkay.
 
I seriously doubt this happened. Come on. He tells his school admin, "I've been studying with my gf, so let me take the board exam" and they do. Mmmkay.

Agreed. Also where was anatomy lab and other required sections during his first year? I mean sure maybe he could walk in and pass the written exams but there are other required aspects of first year (including usually some sort of doctoring course or preceptorship).

The whole premise is absurd, and the idea that he should be allowed to skip 2nd year (exams, required sections, labs, and any doctoring course) just because he passed Step 1 is laughable.
 
I didn't even know you could do that.

A lot of schools won't let you do that. You can only sit for step one with the permission of your school. As such, it seems kind of odd both that someone let him do it, and that they didn't have a plan for him once he passed.

He should probably just enjoy the year, and take every opportunity he can to do fun or interesting extra stuff.
 
I seriously doubt this happened. Come on. He tells his school admin, "I've been studying with my gf, so let me take the board exam" and they do. Mmmkay.

Believe it or not, this is what happened. I also have a relative who skipped his 4th year of dental school (another very unusual case) and I wanted to see if there was anything my classmate can do for medical school.

His plan now is to concentrate on his wedding and have his girlfriend apply for a year long research fellowship so they can both apply for residency together.
 
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and doubtfully assume this is a true story.

It sounds like your friend made the assumption that he can neglect all of his academic and professional responsibilities simply because he is smart. This not only shows he is NOT particularly smart, but also puts him into a rather bad situation. Taking Step I is not a pass to skip second year, or its requirements. Furthermore, the application for residency specifically asks if any years were taken off during med school, and the associated reason. The only good excuse is research, so I recommend he get on it, even if its working for free, as fast as possible.
 
this student never shows up for class and group activities such as epidemiology research projects, quizzes, and small group sessions, so the school is now forcing him to attend these to graduate second year.

You might want to check the student handbook. My handbook specifically says that you have to attend all mandatory "educational experiences" which include small group activities, meeting with preceptors, etc. outside of passing all the exams. He just skipped all of that stuff for first year? I'm surprised the administration would let that fly and he's not retaking year 1.

Did he attend any clinical classes? Does your school not teach how to take a history or perform a physical during the first two years? Even if he did pass Step 1, he might be unprepared for rotations if he doesn't know how to do these basic things.
 
why are you so interested in your "friend's" welfare to the point that you're asking for advice that he should be asking for.
 
A lot of school allow you to take your step 1 in your first year, Yale, Cleveland, Dartmouth, Brown, Duke, Harvard, John Hopkins, NYU, Columbia, etc...
 
What are you, a psychiatrist?

didn't realize common sense constituted psychiatry. if it's really the op's friend, then the op's friend should be the one asking this question to the school administration. it just makes 0 sense for a second hand person to be asking us a question when we know absolutely nothing about his school.
 
Last edited:
didn't realize common sense constituted psychiatry. if it's really the op's friend, then the op's friend should be the one asking this question to the school administration. it just makes 0 sense for a second hand person to be asking us a question when we know absolutely nothing about his school.

I didn't realize the point of a forum was for random strangers to second guess each other.
 
This thread is not going anywhere and I would like to request that this thread be closed. To clarify, "never" attending class = a rare occasion and a large number of administrators and professors have already spoke/threaten the student during first and second year. Apparently he does well enough on the exams to pass the course so he decided to study for the boards and not attend mandatory events like our weekly quizzes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.