skipping Kaplan/studying for a week...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bito42

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice:

I'm taking the MCATS in August and will probably start studying in late May. I'm considering going on vacation with some friends for a week and skipping Kaplan (two of the 3-hour sessions).

I probably wouldn't study much on my trip. anyone have any advice one whether this is a bad idea or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Have fun on your trip.

Kaplan (or TPR) classes are far more helpful for some than for others. Personally, I thought my time was better spent studying on my own than sitting through the classes, but I know others who learned attended every class and benefited greatly from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I skipped a few of my Kaplan classes...Actually I think I skipped about 5 or so...I'll find out soon if it hurt me. If you can sit down and read through/study the notes, you should be OK.

I took the August MCAT, and I went to Hawaii on a week-long trip during my study period. I did take some materials with me--just some practice tests--and I skipped some vacation activities so I could study. I knew I'd feel bad if I took materials and never touched them. So I didn't get to paraglide. BUT I got a score that I was proud of.

Skip the class. You need a break now and again.

Besides, those classes aren't that helpful. The bulk of your learning should be on your own. Use the books and all the practice test they have. My advice is to do as many of these test as possible. The classes are just a broad review of topic. If you need help on a particular subject, i am sure one of the other students studying for mcat can help you out in that one area. Study consistently and good luck
BIOTN