skipping lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halitosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone here skipping the lectures altogether and using that time to read by oneself? how is that working out? any comments would be very helpful. just finished first wk of ****ing dental school, already thinking abt skipping lect. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the MD Allopathic forum. They have lots of posts about skipping lectures. In my opinion, it's a waste of time to sit there if that isn't how you learn. If, however, you won't learn by taking the time to do it yourself, then you're probably better off staying in lecture and at least picking up something as far as information goes.

ItsGavinC said:
Check out the MD Allopathic forum. They have lots of posts about skipping lectures. In my opinion, it's a waste of time to sit there if that isn't how you learn. If, however, you won't learn by taking the time to do it yourself, then you're probably better off staying in lecture and at least picking up something as far as information goes.
hey thanks man!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, you need to be careful, because some schools do take attendence.

I learn best when I get the same info via different modalities. So, I like to hear it in lecture and to read the notes later. Just my learning style. But, I know of another student that can skip lecture entirely and is able to learn the material well on his own.

Jaws said:
Also, you need to be careful, because some schools do take attendence.
my school doesn't. but the prof said tests will cover stuff from lect and text....and many parts of lect will not be in book =( so how the **** am i supposed to review the parts of lect that i didn't get and is not in the text?? google search?

do you know what ranking is that person who skips lect?

Halitosis said:
my school doesn't. but the prof said tests will cover stuff from lect and text....and many parts of lect will not be in book =( so how the **** am i supposed to review the parts of lect that i didn't get and is not in the text?? google search?

do you know what ranking is that person who skips lect?

Beautiful. Another dental student looking for the easy way out. I think this is what you want to hear - yes, you can skip lecture and be valedictorian. Of course. It's the tried and true methods of valedictorians around the country.

Here's a novel concept - if you're worried about missing the parts of lecture not in the text, how about GOING TO LECTURE??? You are paying potentially 200K to attend dental school and you would rather not get your money's worth? Wow. Way to use that 200K investment.

You better brace yourself. If the first week of dental school has you using multiple expletives to describe the experience, you have 4 horrific years ahead of you.

griffin04 said:
Beautiful. Another dental student looking for the easy way out. I think this is what you want to hear - yes, you can skip lecture and be valedictorian. Of course. It's the tried and true methods of valedictorians around the country.

Here's a novel concept - if you're worried about missing the parts of lecture not in the text, how about GOING TO LECTURE??? You are paying potentially 200K to attend dental school and you would rather not get your money's worth? Wow. Way to use that 200K investment.

You better brace yourself. If the first week of dental school has you using multiple expletives to describe the experience, you have 4 horrific years ahead of you.

Now I understand why you always seem so uptight...you never skipped any dental school lectures.

You'll figure out pretty quickly which lectures are really necessary and which ones are a waste of time. Some people can get away with it and still get good grades, others will get burned. Can you get away with it? I guess you are the only one who can answer that question.

Halitosis said:
how the **** am i supposed to review the parts of lect that i didn't get and is not in the text??
A few friends of mine had that same problem, and solved it using an innovative new learning method named "going to class."

DcS said:
Now I understand why you always seem so uptight...you never skipped any dental school lectures.

Haha, I skipped very few. But I did :sleep: through many of the ones I actually attended. Of course, it's all about knowing when to skip. ;)

The posts by Halitosis just make him/her sound like one of those annoying people who has to be spoonfed every bit of information that is going to be on the test. Every class has one, or several.

general rule is if you are going to an ivy league dental school then you are above all other populations of people, with the exception of ivy league medical schools. but the point is you rule. since you are attending an ivy league dental school then use your godskills and skip lectures.

Halitosis said:
is anyone here skipping the lectures all together and using that time to read by oneself? how is that working out? any comments would be very helpful. just finished first wk of ****ing dental school, already thinking abt skipping lect. thanks.

Perhaps you should have come to USC. That way you are encouraged to not attend any lectures.

ShawnOne said:
Perhaps you should have come to USC. That way you are encouraged to not attend any lectures.
I wish I went there :(

Members don't see this ad :)
how the heck did you get into dental school?

Halitosis said:
but the prof said tests will cover stuff from lect and text....and many parts of lect will not be in book =( so how the **** am i supposed to review the parts of lect that i didn't get and is not in the text?? google search?

I'm like Javadi, I like to get it from class. Find out if you have scribing (my school does), but I guess you would know by now. Also, if find out ASAP if attendance can potentially hurt or help your grade. Some of our classes if we miss enough we can fail. Some, no attendance is taken. Some people in my year skip those non-attedance classes altogether and they do well because they cover the scribed material on their own time and work their schedule to do personal stuff during class time.

JavadiCavity said:
I learn best when I get the same info via different modalities. So, I like to hear it in lecture and to read the notes later. Just my learning style. But, I know of another student that can skip lecture entirely and is able to learn the material well on his own.

halo, just don't skip DAO or anatomy, and i think you'll be fine. they have online notes for SB (annotated, whatever it's called).

griffin04 said:
Haha, I skipped very few. But I did :sleep: through many of the ones I actually attended. Of course, it's all about knowing when to skip. ;)

The posts by Halitosis just make him/her sound like one of those annoying people who has to be spoonfed every bit of information that is going to be on the test. Every class has one, or several.

no,no. i don't want to be spoonfed. if i did, i'd just hang around my house and have 1000+posts. i just learn better by reading by myself. just my style baby.

QTpieDMD said:
I'm like Javadi, I like to get it from class. Find out if you have scribing (my school does), but I guess you would know by now. Also, if find out ASAP if attendance can potentially hurt or help your grade. Some of our classes if we miss enough we can fail. Some, no attendance is taken. Some people in my year skip those non-attedance classes altogether and they do well because they cover the scribed material on their own time and work their schedule to do personal stuff during class time.

yeah see that's what i'm talking about.

vandy_yankee said:
halo, just don't skip DAO or anatomy, and i think you'll be fine. they have online notes for SB (annotated, whatever it's called).

i can't i can't vandy! dao lect is no good since we have the book, sylla, and cd. anatomy lect....it's too fast...besides all we need is april and get all the struct names from netty's, RIGHT??

i heard from a mbr of c/o 05 that they used to have a thick sylla for sb...many didn't go to lect b/c of that. why don't we have one of those? thanks for the heads up on the sb notes they're on the 08 site no?

nevermind vandy, i found it. it's in courseworks. the posting of those notes can't keep up w/ the pace of the course tho.

^yeah the annotated notes are about a week behind.

you have to go to DAO, we have weekly quizzes--and you've gotta be on time. i felt really sorry for the dude who came in 5 min late last week, told the prof he was late b/c he commutes to school, and still got shot down by the prof (and not allowed to take the quiz!) harsh, i say.

WHO ARE YOU? i think most of us have already figured out who all the other ppl on sdn are.

If you are going to skip lecture, like an 8 a.m. class, make sure you are doing something productive during that time slot.

I'd go to class...worst case scenario, study during class if you dont feel like paying attention.

Rezdawg said:
If you are going to skip lecture, like an 8 a.m. class, make sure you are doing something productive during that time slot.

whats more productive than sleeping in??

playing video games perhaps?