Skipping medical school graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I doubt that there would be any negative consequences. No school would willingly alienate one of their graduates, and potential future donor, over something like this.

Although I am not at all big on ceremonies, and wasn't really that excited to go, thought about trying to skip out, but am so glad I went. Even though it was 20 years ago, it's still one of the most memorable moments of my life.

Delay the trip. Go to the ceremony. You may not regret it if you don't go, but if you do go, you'll be glad you did.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I don't understand what's so hard about showing up for 1 day that you knew for four years would come. "I want to spend time with friends." Ok? Couldn't that be said about any day during medical school. This thread is ridiculous.
Next year I will have May and June off before I start residency. I have been told that some residencies will have an orientation that may be in the middle of June. Our graduation day is in the middle of May. It's not a convenient day to go. If it was say, the Saturday after the last day of rotations, then sure, I'd go.

So, any of us who want to do extended traveling, this will be the first chance and the last chance to do this for years. I am planning on going on a trip for about 5-6 weeks. I know many other students who are from other countries and plan on going back to their home for several weeks before starting residency. If we go to graduation we have to cut these things short by two weeks just to stay around a city that some of us will never return to again.

I'll invite my parents to match day. I'll send out thank you cards to the individuals who meant a lot to me throughout med school. I'll honor my school's name by being a good physician. I really don't see any need to attend the ceremony. I understand that some people here it means a lot to them and their families for various reasons, but for some of us it just isn't as important. I went to med school to get a job as a doctor, not to get a picture of me shaking hands with the dean.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess I don't understand what's so hard about showing up for 1 day that you knew for four years would come. "I want to spend time with friends." Ok? Couldn't that be said about any day during medical school. This thread is ridiculous.

Would it change your perspective if you knew that I was going into the military and already live several hours from my hometown (hence wanting to make a trip to see family). As stated, most of my family wouldn't be able to attend, so for whom am I going? My class is big and my absence wouldn't go noticed amongst peers. I think it makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I had over 40 members of my family come up for my graduation. A couple had never traveled out of state before, and several scrimped and saved for months to make the trip. I am the first doctor in the family and everybody wanted to be there for the moment.

It was an especially big moment for me and my dad, since his health was declining and we both kinda knew it would be my last major milestone he was present for.

Another relative who made the trip died unexpectedly a few months later, so graduation was the last time I saw him.

I know not everyone's family situation is like mine, but some of these replies make me really sad.

I definitely feel for you, but I already know from my college graduation that only my parents would be able to make (same distance). I'm going to be the first doc in my family as well but taking off of work is just not realistic for most of my family members, and those who do not work are too old to travel. I would rather go home to spare them the inconvenience and celebrate with them.

I definitely feel for you, but I already know from my college graduation that only my parents would be able to make (same distance). I'm going to be the first doc in my family as well but taking off of work is just not realistic for most of my family members, and those who do not work are too old to travel. I would rather go home to spare them the inconvenience and celebrate with them.

That's understandable. I do feel like going home to celebrate with family who couldn't make it otherwise is not the same as just going off on a random trip. But we're all adults and in the grand scheme of things it's really not a huge deal.

I don't understand why the graduation isn't immediately after the end of school. That would be a bit annoying. I also understand some who wouldn't want to stick around because their school isn't in a location that they're particularly fond of. I have nothing against those graduates who are not planning on attending. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons.

One thing I'll add to my previous post is that for me, it also provided a sense of closure.

Last edited:
My school has a drive-thru for this now. Just drive up, say thank you and you're on your way.

Reactions: 2 users