Step I SLE mnemonic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Clair de Lune

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have a good mnemonic for remembering the 11 criteria for SLE? I think I used to know one, something about a bubblehead, but now I can't remember. Thanks in advance!
 
SOAP BRAIN MD

S=serositis
O=oral ulcers
A=arthritis
P=photosensitivity, pulmonary fibrosis
B=blood cells
R=renal, Raynauds
A=ANA
I=immunologic (anti-Sm, anti-dsDNA)
N=neuropsych
M=malar rash
D=discoid rash
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like DOPAMINE RASH (from Ayala)

D: Discoid rash
O: Oral Ulcers
P: Photosens
A: Arthritis
M: Malar
I: Immuno markers (anti sm, dsdna, ro, la, histone for drug induced etc)
N: Neuro changes (psychosis, personality changes, seizures)
E: Elevated ESR

R: Renal
A: +ANA
S: Serositis (Pleurisy, pericarditis)
H: Hematologic (Hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia)
 
SLE criteria:

here's another one

DOPAMINE RASH
D=Discoud lupus
O=oral ulcers
P=photosensitivity
A=arthritis (hands,wrists,knees)
M=malar rash
I=immunologic criteria =anti-Smith, anti-ds-DNA, anti-Ro, anti-La
N=neurologic changes
E=incr. ESR (tho not a criteria)

R=renal dz
A=ANA+
S-serositis (pleurisy, pericarditis)
Hematologic dz=hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia

fr. Pathophys fr. the Boards & Wards 🙂
 
greets fr. nyc said:
oops.
didn't see the last reply.

yeah. ayala is a good book.

Yeah. For such a tiny book, it it packed with craploads of stuff. Every time I think I "know" about a disease, I look it up in Ayala and there are always one or two things I didnt know. It is a pain in the ass to read the book "cold" without having read anything else.

Legion.