Step I Sleep and Med School

Started by my_2_cents
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

my_2_cents

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just out of curiosity. How many hours of sleep do you guys manage to get in a day? 😀
 
I average 7-8 hours. The two areas I try not to let studying and stress interfere with are working out and sleeping well. Healthier body, healthier mind.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's absolutely true. When I go to class I just mainly listen and take notes on anything not on slide/stuff prof emphasizes. It helps retention so much.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used to compromise on my sleep when I first started med school. I could have gone a week straight on 2-4 hours of sleep per day. This, of course, ruined my motivation, happiness and eventually my academic performance. It took me a long time to understand but sleep is VITAL! I was doing great getting at least 6 hours of sleep per day and then just when I was about to finish med school I reverted into the bad habit of almost no sleep. The last 3 exams I had (this was recent) were approached with almost no sleep and my performance suffered badly. I went down 0.5 points on my average which is a big drop.

So, don't make the same mistake as me. Sleep! I would even say prioritize it over knowing every single detail for the text (which is impossible, only I didn't understand that until I actually finished med school, how sad).