USMLE Sleep and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

my_2_cents

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity. How many hours of sleep do you guys manage to get in a day? :D

Members don't see this ad.

I think the stress impacts my sleep more than lack of time, as I often wake up in the early AM and can't get back to sleep. It used to be better, but now I get 5-6 hours a night. 7 is a rare treat.

Reactions: 2 users
I average 7-8 hours. The two areas I try not to let studying and stress interfere with are working out and sleeping well. Healthier body, healthier mind.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I average 7-8 hours. The two areas I try not to let studying and stress interfere with are working out and sleeping well. Healthier body, healthier mind.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's absolutely true. When I go to class I just mainly listen and take notes on anything not on slide/stuff prof emphasizes. It helps retention so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exam week: 4-5 hours/night
Every other week: 8 hours/night

Exams seem to creep up on me when I study.

I think the stress impacts my sleep more than lack of time, as I often wake up in the early AM and can't get back to sleep. It used to be better, but now I get 5-6 hours a night. 7 is a rare treat.
This happens to me too. But ususally during the exam time..

I used to compromise on my sleep when I first started med school. I could have gone a week straight on 2-4 hours of sleep per day. This, of course, ruined my motivation, happiness and eventually my academic performance. It took me a long time to understand but sleep is VITAL! I was doing great getting at least 6 hours of sleep per day and then just when I was about to finish med school I reverted into the bad habit of almost no sleep. The last 3 exams I had (this was recent) were approached with almost no sleep and my performance suffered badly. I went down 0.5 points on my average which is a big drop.

So, don't make the same mistake as me. Sleep! I would even say prioritize it over knowing every single detail for the text (which is impossible, only I didn't understand that until I actually finished med school, how sad).

I average 8-9 hours, I don't function well on low sleep or at least when I'm actually trying to learn something so I make sure not to cut back on this

Damn 9 hours. You're gonna be unconscious for roughly 4/10 of your life.

Anyone have advice for this. Ive been having this problem

8, found that the extra 1-2 hours of sleep makes me much more productive for the 16 hours I’m awake

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app