sleep medicine application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHOIZME

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a resident interseted in applying to sleep medicine. Just had a quick question for the people applying to sleep medicine in terms of how much exposure they have had to the field. Did you guys do a 2 week to 1 month elective in sleep and/or spend a lot of time in the sleep lab? Or do most applicants go into sleep without much exposure to the field? Especially those applicants from neurology, psychiatry, and anesthesia.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I applied coming out of residency, with little exposure and a desire to learn about sleep (as I'd been deprived over the previous 4 years). Fortunately (or unfortunately) I didn't get a lot of sleep and had an excellent education. Changed the way I approach patient care completely. If you're hungry to learn about a subject and want to do it, then pursue the training!

Hi Shikima, not sure of your primary speciality but what are your thoughts about the current job scenario for psych/sleep. It seems that being adult or child psych trained, one might have some difficulty finding a position. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Too dang difficult. Employers want a box filled.... Psych. Period. Round hole with a round peg. Problem in sleep medicine I'm facing now is the poor follow-up from the sleep apnea mills - they're happy to get the charges and boot them out the door. DMEs are equally piss-poor with their compliance reports, they mostly care about usage to get the insurance company reimbursements.

Thanks Shikima. How competitive is a sleep fellowship with a psych background. What are the programs usually looking for? For myself, I've done electives in sleep during my training but am out of training for the last 2 years.

Last I heard there were programs open. I'd just start calling programs in areas you'd like to train and ask them questions about the process and how they approach sleep.