Sleep Medicine Fellowship

Started by MDMohawk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MDMohawk

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I haven’t posted in quite some time as life got busy very quickly! Over the last few years, I got married, had our first child, and have been practicing as a Family Medicine attending for the past five years—all of which has been great.

In my initial practice, I served as an employee health medical director while also staffing a very busy hybrid urgent care and established primary care panel. I essentially did everything within full-scope FM except for OB.

I recently transitioned to an academic Internal Medicine program while my wife completes her fellowship. In this current role, I’ve had the opportunity to teach residents, staff a safety-net clinic, and work on a street medicine van. It has been incredibly fulfilling.

Lately, I’ve been seriously considering a Sleep Medicine fellowship. It stems primarily from personal interest, but also from a clinical one: in primary care, a massive volume of chief complaints are sleep-related. I view sleep as a foundational intervention that profoundly affects multiple areas of physiology and daily quality of life, which makes it fascinating to me.

My main hesitation centers around the job market for a Family Medicine-trained Sleep Medicine graduate. My goal would be to maintain a largely outpatient practice with a stable, predictable schedule for my family.

Could anyone comment on the current sleep medicine job market for FM grads, as well as the overall competitiveness of the fellowship match process? I just want to ensure that putting my family through another transition is worthwhile before diving in. Thank you!
 
Hi everyone,

I haven’t posted in quite some time as life got busy very quickly! Over the last few years, I got married, had our first child, and have been practicing as a Family Medicine attending for the past five years—all of which has been great.

In my initial practice, I served as an employee health medical director while also staffing a very busy hybrid urgent care and established primary care panel. I essentially did everything within full-scope FM except for OB.

I recently transitioned to an academic Internal Medicine program while my wife completes her fellowship. In this current role, I’ve had the opportunity to teach residents, staff a safety-net clinic, and work on a street medicine van. It has been incredibly fulfilling.

Lately, I’ve been seriously considering a Sleep Medicine fellowship. It stems primarily from personal interest, but also from a clinical one: in primary care, a massive volume of chief complaints are sleep-related. I view sleep as a foundational intervention that profoundly affects multiple areas of physiology and daily quality of life, which makes it fascinating to me.

My main hesitation centers around the job market for a Family Medicine-trained Sleep Medicine graduate. My goal would be to maintain a largely outpatient practice with a stable, predictable schedule for my family.

Could anyone comment on the current sleep medicine job market for FM grads, as well as the overall competitiveness of the fellowship match process? I just want to ensure that putting my family through another transition is worthwhile before diving in. Thank you!
There are plenty of sleep physicians that are family medicine and sleep. You already may have comfort with both peds and adults in managing comorbidities that may give you greater comfort in practicing more complex aspects of sleep medicine across the age spectrum. There are jobs out there, and mentors out there to help you get to where you want to be. Sleep is a special field, and it needs special people who are passionate about it. Don't give up. Check out CHEST conference (in Arizona this year) and go meet the sleep people there or check out the SLEEP conference (I think Colorado in June 2027). See if these are your people. If it's right for you and these are your people, find the mentors to get you there.