Sleeping before Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aren123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have trouble sleeping the night before STEP 1?

I went to bed at like 10p, and just laid there, tossing and turning until it was dawn. I don't know why though because I didn't feel particularly nervous at all.

Exam was at 8:30, and when I got to the testing center, I felt like I wasn't awake but was just going through the motions if that makes any sense. Nearly voided the exam before sitting for it but just tried to suck it up, drank an energy drink, and just took it.

Still haven't received my score but looking back, not sure if I made the best decision because I definitely felt sluggish and had trouble remembering/regurgitating even simple formulas/G+/-, etc. It also didn't help that my blocks 4 and 5 were killers (literally like 1/2 vague anatomy) and I wasn't able to finish a good 3 questions in each of them (including the heart sounds) due to time.

Right after the test in retrospect, I felt like my other blocks were fine (I hope), and I was able to reconcile a few of the questions I didn't know from Blocks 4 and 5 and fortunately got them right, but the wait is killing me because I'm terrified I didn't read the question stems correctly due to the lack of sleep from the night before. A lot of my answers were based on knee-jerk responses from all the uworld and kaplan questions (which surprisingly got me some correct points on Pharm), but I also know for certain that I made several stupid mistakes which, I think, if I was able to sleep well, could have prevented using process of elimination, etc, etc.

Would appreciate people's experiences and comments. Average NBME was around 235-240.

Members don't see this ad.

Took the test today as well. Ended up missing around 8-10 questions total that I either did not fill out or filled randomly. Would like to know if anyone had this experience and ended up doing decent!

Looks like both of you had the normal test experience.
I had similar experience and ended up getting 250+ on CK.
So, despite everything you should get close to your NBME score as long as you kept on going.

Reactions: 1 users
I also had trouble sleeping the night before step 1. Went to bed early around 9PM, tossed and turned all night. I probably got no more than 2-3 hours of actual sleep all night. This never happened to me before on any of my med school exams, however I did have a similar experience when I took the MCAT. I'm also someone who tries to get 7+ hours of sleep consistently. The morning of the exam I definitely did not feel well rested. I didn't stress too much about it and just decided to bite the bullet and take the exam anyway.

On my practice NBMEs I was scoring in the high 230s. On the real thing I scored in the low 230s. I'm convinced I missed more questions than I should have due to lack of sleep and it likely resulted in the slightly lower score compared to my averages. It's disappointing, but it is what it is. So I guess I would predict that you are likely to score around your average, but more likely to do a little worse than a little better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I had the same problem. I had poor sleep a few nights leading up to the exam and didn't get any sleep the night before. The whole time during the exam I was just praying not to pass out on top of that desk. Had to consistently move around in my chair/ rub my face to stay awake. Got about 12 points lower on the real thing than my nbme.

Thanks for your response guys. Dr. Surgeon, how'd you feel during/after you took the exam?

I felt pretty ****ty. I thought i was going to fail, but it turned out ok, got low 230's. I know its easier said than done, but try not to freak out too much and don't look up answers to questions you weren't sure about

haha THIS. I've been googling, FA'ing, random things the past week or so and it's eating up my time. Whenever I get a question "wrong," I neurotically think it's because I didn't get enough sleep and my judgement/decision making was totally off.
Appreciate your input/experiences man.

Yeah that's exactly what I did too and it made that month really miserable so try to distract yourself with something so you don't think about it. Of course, anytime. Good luck man.