Sleepless

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KASALAPIC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how much sleep does everyone get while in optometry school?:sleep: :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

We're still up so we shouldn't worry too much about sleeping. I have insomnia :(

how much sleep does everyone get while in optometry school?:sleep: :sleep:

You know, I've always made an effort to sleep because I see sleep as part of my studying. I think it's important to sleep especially before a test because supposedly your brain re-organizes information when you sleep. So I'd say I get a minimum of 6-7 hours of sleep every night and a minimum of 5 hours of sleep before exams (we have exams about twice a week most of the time). But that's just me...some of my other classmates often sleep for 3 or 4 hours before exams. It just depends on your own sleeping habits and preparation time...

Members don't see this ad :)
Regular week with no exam or proficiency (that's not really normal though) --> 7-8 hours
Midterm weeks --> 5-6 hours
Finals week (6 or 7 finals in five days) --> 3-4 hours

Depending on your motivation, I think it is possible to get a good 8 hours in most of the semester (except finals week). You have to decide how you want to split your time between studying, social activities, and sleeping. I enjoyed many a social activity, and thus slept a little less.;) It kept me sane though!

I never once pulled an all nighter. I stayed up until 3-4 am maybe 2 twice. I was in bed by 11pm almost every week night, and usually 10pm. I value my sleep, but I was also one of few who actually went to every class and did not skip class and take a nap. Another aspect is that I never got worked up about having to get an A on every test. Getting a B was fine with me. I always worked hard and studied, but there was no way I was going to stay up all night to get 1 or 2 more questions right.

I never once pulled an all nighter. I stayed up until 3-4 am maybe 2 twice. I was in bed by 11pm almost every week night, and usually 10pm. I value my sleep, but I was also one of few who actually went to every class and did not skip class and take a nap. Another aspect is that I never got worked up about having to get an A on every test. Getting a B was fine with me. I always worked hard and studied, but there was no way I was going to stay up all night to get 1 or 2 more questions right.

It appears I lived by the same philosophy as rpames in OD school. If I didn't know it by 1am i wasn't going to. I valued my sleep more than getting one more question. I was also more apt to misread questions if I was sleep deprived.

And how is your brain going to store these learned memories/information if you don't sleep? That and physically I can't stay up past 3 o'clock anymore. The clock hits three and its like I hit a brick wall and topple over.

getting a good night's sleep = long term memory

getting a good night's sleep = long term memory

I agree so much...when I was in school my friends would tease me about calling it a night first...but I woke up early refreshed and studied in the a.m. prior to class...and took advantage of between classes in the library.
:sleep: A lot can be said for a good night's sleep.

I slept about 5 hours per night throughout college, and i did fine. Some people just don't need that much sleep. Quality > Quantity sleep.:cool:

I slept about 5 hours per night throughout college, and i did fine. Some people just don't need that much sleep. Quality > Quantity sleep.:cool:

So so true.

3-5 hours of good sleep >>>>>> 7-9 hours of half-assed sleep