Sleepless

Started by KASALAPIC
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KASALAPIC

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how much sleep does everyone get while in optometry school?😴 😴
 
We're still up so we shouldn't worry too much about sleeping. I have insomnia 🙁
 
how much sleep does everyone get while in optometry school?😴 😴

You know, I've always made an effort to sleep because I see sleep as part of my studying. I think it's important to sleep especially before a test because supposedly your brain re-organizes information when you sleep. So I'd say I get a minimum of 6-7 hours of sleep every night and a minimum of 5 hours of sleep before exams (we have exams about twice a week most of the time). But that's just me...some of my other classmates often sleep for 3 or 4 hours before exams. It just depends on your own sleeping habits and preparation time...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regular week with no exam or proficiency (that's not really normal though) --> 7-8 hours
Midterm weeks --> 5-6 hours
Finals week (6 or 7 finals in five days) --> 3-4 hours

Depending on your motivation, I think it is possible to get a good 8 hours in most of the semester (except finals week). You have to decide how you want to split your time between studying, social activities, and sleeping. I enjoyed many a social activity, and thus slept a little less.😉 It kept me sane though!
 
I never once pulled an all nighter. I stayed up until 3-4 am maybe 2 twice. I was in bed by 11pm almost every week night, and usually 10pm. I value my sleep, but I was also one of few who actually went to every class and did not skip class and take a nap. Another aspect is that I never got worked up about having to get an A on every test. Getting a B was fine with me. I always worked hard and studied, but there was no way I was going to stay up all night to get 1 or 2 more questions right.
 
I never once pulled an all nighter. I stayed up until 3-4 am maybe 2 twice. I was in bed by 11pm almost every week night, and usually 10pm. I value my sleep, but I was also one of few who actually went to every class and did not skip class and take a nap. Another aspect is that I never got worked up about having to get an A on every test. Getting a B was fine with me. I always worked hard and studied, but there was no way I was going to stay up all night to get 1 or 2 more questions right.

It appears I lived by the same philosophy as rpames in OD school. If I didn't know it by 1am i wasn't going to. I valued my sleep more than getting one more question. I was also more apt to misread questions if I was sleep deprived.
 
And how is your brain going to store these learned memories/information if you don't sleep? That and physically I can't stay up past 3 o'clock anymore. The clock hits three and its like I hit a brick wall and topple over.
 
getting a good night's sleep = long term memory

I agree so much...when I was in school my friends would tease me about calling it a night first...but I woke up early refreshed and studied in the a.m. prior to class...and took advantage of between classes in the library.
😴 A lot can be said for a good night's sleep.
 
I slept about 5 hours per night throughout college, and i did fine. Some people just don't need that much sleep. Quality > Quantity sleep.😎
 
I slept about 5 hours per night throughout college, and i did fine. Some people just don't need that much sleep. Quality > Quantity sleep.😎

So so true.

3-5 hours of good sleep >>>>>> 7-9 hours of half-assed sleep