1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleepless

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by KASALAPIC, May 10, 2007.

1. KASALAPIC

5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    how much sleep does everyone get while in optometry school?:sleep: :sleep:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gkchhina

gkchhina pco - Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    We're still up so we shouldn't worry too much about sleeping. I have insomnia :(

4. alferec

alferec Future Army OD
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    You know, I've always made an effort to sleep because I see sleep as part of my studying. I think it's important to sleep especially before a test because supposedly your brain re-organizes information when you sleep. So I'd say I get a minimum of 6-7 hours of sleep every night and a minimum of 5 hours of sleep before exams (we have exams about twice a week most of the time). But that's just me...some of my other classmates often sleep for 3 or 4 hours before exams. It just depends on your own sleeping habits and preparation time...

5. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Regular week with no exam or proficiency (that's not really normal though) --> 7-8 hours
    Midterm weeks --> 5-6 hours
    Finals week (6 or 7 finals in five days) --> 3-4 hours

Depending on your motivation, I think it is possible to get a good 8 hours in most of the semester (except finals week). You have to decide how you want to split your time between studying, social activities, and sleeping. I enjoyed many a social activity, and thus slept a little less.;) It kept me sane though!

6. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I never once pulled an all nighter. I stayed up until 3-4 am maybe 2 twice. I was in bed by 11pm almost every week night, and usually 10pm. I value my sleep, but I was also one of few who actually went to every class and did not skip class and take a nap. Another aspect is that I never got worked up about having to get an A on every test. Getting a B was fine with me. I always worked hard and studied, but there was no way I was going to stay up all night to get 1 or 2 more questions right.

7. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    It appears I lived by the same philosophy as rpames in OD school. If I didn't know it by 1am i wasn't going to. I valued my sleep more than getting one more question. I was also more apt to misread questions if I was sleep deprived.

8. hfpepperbean47

hfpepperbean47 You wish you were me
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    And how is your brain going to store these learned memories/information if you don't sleep? That and physically I can't stay up past 3 o'clock anymore. The clock hits three and its like I hit a brick wall and topple over.

9. leelee

leelee Member
    7+ Year Member

getting a good night's sleep = long term memory

10. planex

10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I agree so much...when I was in school my friends would tease me about calling it a night first...but I woke up early refreshed and studied in the a.m. prior to class...and took advantage of between classes in the library.
    :sleep: A lot can be said for a good night's sleep.

11. luckyfool

luckyfool SUNY Opt
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I slept about 5 hours per night throughout college, and i did fine. Some people just don't need that much sleep. Quality > Quantity sleep.:cool:

12. ODduck

ODduck Future Oregon OD
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    So so true.

3-5 hours of good sleep >>>>>> 7-9 hours of half-assed sleep