Sliding Metal Bar in Magnetic Field

Started by justadream
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

justadream

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone explain why decreasing resistance doesn't do anything to the voltage?

381a.gif

381b.gif
 
The voltage is being generated by the changing flux of the magnetic field.

This voltage v = -dFlux/dt and does not depend on the resistance of the circuit.

The voltage will be proportional to the changing flux and the resistance is constant so what will change is the current!
 
@Cawolf

"The voltage will be proportional to the changing flux and the resistance is constant so what will change is the current!"

Wait but how is the resistance constant when you are explicitly quartering the resistance?
 
In each scenario you design, the resistance is constant.

So if you use resistance = R, then you will generate some current I but V will be proportional to flux.

If you set resistance = .25R, then the current will be I = V/.25R = 4x larger than before. But the voltage is still not changed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I should stop answering questions today - time for bed....... the dA should be a dot product not divided.

It is technically Flux = surface integral (B . dA)

So with constant B, dFlux/dt = (d/dt) B surface integral (dA) = BdA/dt

Therefore, V = - BdA/dt which is proportional to the change in area over time.

Sorry for the confusion.
 
Sure, you will never need to calculate it though as far as I know. I would mainly focus on the concept.

It isn't technically correct but I wouldn't focus on it....it is a dot product though, so a cosine would be involved.