Mar 15, 2014
I finished most of my secondaries for DOs. I'm slightly panicking after seeing that some of you guys have received IIs already. My stats are not great (MCAT : 25 & 502, GPA 3.58) , but I think my EC's are pretty solid.

I am a first generation college student, non-native english speaker
over 4000+ hours of regular employment
over 1000+ hours of working as a medical assistant in a clinic
part of a prestigious research lab at USC Keck
a lot of volunteer hours (1000+) and have a lot of hardships (father was incarcerated, did not complete elementary education until migrating to the states)
shadowed 2 DOs (no letters) + two letters from MDs, which includes a committee letter with many other professors

However, I guess I am just freaking out because I haven't heard back from any school after submitting my secondaries. What do you all think? Do I just need to chill ?!!

Midwestern AZCOM - completed 6/28/2015
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine - completed 7/8/2015
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine- Completed 7/15/2015
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - completed 8/6/2015
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine–California - c0mpleted 7/27/2015
Western-Pomona- completed 8/4/2015

kinzav

Pizza's our middle name!
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2014
Phoenix
Status
Medical Student
I was gonna say just chill until I saw your school list. Those are tough schools to get into considering your stats. Plenty of time to add more schools if you can, just not sure you should feel comfortable about your chances right now.

Reactions: Dr. Death and Goro

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Definitely shooting yourself in the foot by not expanding your list with those mcat scores. They'll get you in somewhere with that life story but idk about any of those schools

Reactions: Goro

0dee

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Can't speak about the rest of the school list but you just gave a generous donation to AZCOM as they rarely accept anybody with an mcat below 29. You should have more lower tier schools, your list is too top heavy.

Reactions: Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I'm getting tired of writing this:

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not. My own school, among others receives > 5000 apps (Drexel gets around 14K).

Do you really think that you app is at the top of the pile at MSU.

And agree with the other posters. You need to apply to more schools, especially the newer schools. Skip CCOM and KCUMB.

I finished most of my secondaries for DOs. I'm slightly panicking after seeing that some of you guys have received IIs already. My stats are not great (MCAT : 25 & 502, GPA 3.58) , but I think my EC's are pretty solid.

a lot of volunteer hours (1000+) and have a lot of hardships (father was incarcerated, did not complete elementary education until migrating to the states)
shadowed 2 DOs (no letters) + two letters from MDs, which includes a committee letter with many other professors

However, I guess I am just freaking out because I haven't heard back from any school after submitting my secondaries. What do you all think? Do I just need to chill ?!!

Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine- Completed 7/15/2015
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine–California - c0mpleted 7/27/2015

Jan 22, 2015
i would only be comfortable with a small and top heavy list like that if i also had a >30 mcat. you also know that out of state tuition for michigan state is 90k right? your ECs are very nice, though.

Oh_Gee

5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2013
rock hurtling through space
Status
Medical Student

slightly panicking? one of us,one of us,one of us,one of us,one of us,one of us,one of us,one of us,

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Your stats are OK... but your school list is screwing you over man. Apply to more places.

Reactions: oOKawaiiOo

Doctoblast

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
1. I'm pretty sure that 4 out of the 6 schools on your list haven't started sending IIs out yet at all.
2. It's wayyyy early so chill.
3. You need to add way more schools to your list.

Good thing you posted this thread! Now you know!

mathnerd88

5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Your school list is too top heavy. Add more schools that fit more your stats. Your MCAT is below average at most of your school list.

Touro has an average MCAT of 30+, so not sure why you even chose there. Stop choosing your schools based on location. You need to be more realistic here. Your new MCAT score is only better than your old one by 1 point.

I have been on two interviews from mid-tier DO schools already this cycle, and I can assure you that so far, even in my interviews, these students have much higher stats. You need to apply broadly. Also, be patient. Some schools haven't even started giving out II's yet. In fact, none of them started giving II's in your list besides MSU-COM and Midwestern AZCOM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoro9

Giovanotto

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Touro NY has an MCAT average that high? Oh, well there is another secondary I won't bother to submit.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
As others have mentioned some school have not even sent out interview invitations yet. So it is still early to say. However, your stats are not competitive for some of these schools. So you will be waiting longer than other people for an II. Don't be surprise if it takes 2-3 month before you get a response from these schools specifically. That's how it is. The ones with higher stats will get a response more quickly, it is not really a game of first come first serve as you might think.

Last edited:
OP
Rennyrenren
Mar 15, 2014
Thank you everybody for the amazing and honest feedback. I added and submitted WVSOM and A.T still university Arizona. I have also added LECOM, Touro-NV and Rocky Vista. Is there any other schools I should apply to? And do you think since it's already August, I will be considered as a late applicant?

OP
Rennyrenren
Mar 15, 2014
Have you guys heard of anyone getting into school with my score (non-URM) or should I plan on retaking the MCAT .

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Have you guys heard of anyone getting into school with my score (non-URM) or should I plan on retaking the MCAT .
Yes you are fine. I suggest adding

BCOM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
KYCOM
All 3 VCOM
LECOMs

Jun 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I have a similar question with kind of the opposite problem. I have a 29 mcat, 3.4 cGPA 3.2 sGPA. I know my mcat is higher than the averages for most DO schools but my gpa is lower than most of yours. So what do you guys think? Am I wasting my time applying? (I have research, clinical employment, volunteering you name it). Would a post-bac program make a difference in my gpa?

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
I have a similar question with kind of the opposite problem. I have a 29 mcat, 3.4 cGPA 3.2 sGPA. I know my mcat is higher than the averages for most DO schools but my gpa is lower than most of yours. So what do you guys think? Am I wasting my time applying? (I have research, clinical employment, volunteering you name it). Would a post-bac program make a difference in my gpa?
Your fine, especially if you have an upward trend. Main thing is to apply early to get a better pick of schools. I might tell you to hold off on the Touros, AZCOM, and CCOM; other than that you should be okay for the rest.

Jun 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Thank you for the words of encouragement :) what about Edward via? Their average mcat is way low but their average gpa is high. Is that a reflection of their priorities or should I apply anyway and see if they'll be impressed by my mcat?

Zoro9

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for the words of encouragement :) what about Edward via? Their average mcat is way low but their average gpa is high. Is that a reflection of their priorities or should I apply anyway and see if they'll be impressed by my mcat?
I believe you should be fine with your cGPA, and your MCAT should compensate for the average.

Edit: I don't think you need post-bacc. Do not waste money!. Take couple classes as grade replacement if you have not.