SLoE/LoR confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meesky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
US-IMG applying for EM this cycle. I have one SLoE being submitted now and unfortunately that's the only residency affiliated rotation I can do before application season. It's okay, I've accepted this. Question is, should I also get a regular LoR from the program?? I have two other EM (NON residency program) LORs from different rotations (one of which I believe is a good letter). Is the SLoE all I need from this program? Thanks for your help. I have a few other non-EM LORs that I'll probably use to fill the gap if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

You're suggesting getting a SLoE and an LOR from the same program? It will definitely help when you apply to that program but not much use beyond that. I would still ask because having the letter as an option is better than having nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
That's what i figured. My adviser made it seem paramount that I have a regular LOR as well? Also when submitting LORs, is it frowned upon to submit a NON-EM residency letter? I have a good one, but once again not from a residency program (community ED).

That's what i figured. My adviser made it seem paramount that I have a regular LOR as well? Also when submitting LORs, is it frowned upon to submit a NON-EM residency letter? I have a good one, but once again not from a residency program (community ED).

Regular LORs aren't as useful except in the situation @msgsk described. They aren't frowned upon, but it won't move your app forward if you don't have enough SLOEs.