SLOR from EM Tox Rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvanthus

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im getting mixed answers when searching for the answer, so my apologies if it was answered somewhere and I missed it. Can a student get a SLOR from an EM Tox rotation? I will likely have shifts in the ED as well as on the tox service according to their website.

My home institution does not have a residency program, so an SLOR is out there. I have one away set up so will likely get an SLOR from that rotation, but would like to get a second SLOR somehow. Setting up a 3rd straight up EM rotation is out of the question as my school limits us to 2 rotations in the exact same specialty. Since EM Tox is a subspecialty it is apparently ok.

Thoughts, flames?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. Technically speaking, a SLOR should only come from ED shifts as it is geared towards how you function as part of the team.

If you have a fair number of them on your tox rotation, then I say ok.

If your rotation is like our student experience, which isn't shifts but consult-driven, then you can get a great EM/tox faculty letter... but a SLOR would be inappropriate. I've written several LoR's but not a SLOR.

Contact your student rotation director & ask what they typically do.

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

It depends. Technically speaking, a SLOR should only come from ED shifts as it is geared towards how you function as part of the team.

If you have a fair number of them on your tox rotation, then I say ok.

If your rotation is like our student experience, which isn't shifts but consult-driven, then you can get a great EM/tox faculty letter... but a SLOR would be inappropriate. I've written several LoR's but not a SLOR.

Contact your student rotation director & ask what they typically do.

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

thanks for sharing as i am now rethinking how i have scheduled my away rotations.

i thought it was fine since the only specification i see on the CORD website is that an EM faculty fill out the form and the SLOR asks:

2. Nature of contact with applicant: (Check all that apply)
-Know indirectly through others/evaluations
-Clinical contact outside the ED
-Occasional contact (< 10 hours) in the ED
-Extended, direct observation in the ED
-Advisor
-other

I'm going to disagree somewhat. While the SLOR is typically written by faculty who have seen you in the ED, it can be written by any ED faculty member (hence the "clinical contact outside the ED," "advisor," "other"). I've seen a few SLORs that were written by EM/Tox faculty.

The SLOR is going to mean less, however, compared to one that comes out of the ED. If you go this route, the letter needs to be very good and probably from a Tox guy that is known.